Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic says the injectors in my stock C5 with 100k miles are not in good shape. He wants to install Z06 injectors and retune. He says it will improve HP. Is this a good $500 well spent or am i getting the shaft?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
what is wrong with the injectors ?
the tune will help some but replacing the injectors if they are bad will only help you regain "lost" power

the more I think about this , it would be odd for all the injectors to be bad
they usually last as long as the motor
if they all are bad , I'd look for the cause
usually they fail one at a time and infrequently

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I could see doing that if I couldn't get another injector quickly
otherwise , I'd just buy one
and I like to tinker with stuff.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think they are kind of like spark plugs. If you replace one, you might as well replace all of them while your at it. Is it a good idea to replace them with Z06 injectors and is it worth the money?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I would think they are kind of like spark plugs. If you replace one, you might as well replace all of them while your at it. Is it a good idea to replace them with Z06 injectors and is it worth the money?
no , not really , they rarely fail in groups unless there is a contaminant and then you have bigger problems....

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
4.3 Labor hours ..@ ..$75.00 = $322.50
...8 Injectors.......@ $100.73 = $805.84

....................Total:.. $1128.34 before tax

If you can get it all done for $500, I'd say do it!
you can get injectors for under 50 each and to change them all shouldn't take more than 1 hour , maybe 1.5 if you are slow.
I think his "mechanic" may be just trying to stimulate the economy

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you can get injectors for under 50 each and to change them all shouldn't take more than 1 hour , maybe 1.5 if you are slow.
One thing all y'all is forgetting is the Z06 injectors flow more than the stock C5 units - which means - retune !

:1sm258fight:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Even so $380 parts & $120 labor seems fair to me, especially if you have limited mechanical abilities.
I agree ,but how oftern do all of them fail at one time ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
One thing all y'all is forgetting is the Z06 injectors flow more than the stock C5 units - which means - retune !

:1sm258fight:
but does he even need them ?

I doubt upgrading the injectors on a stock motor will gain any HP unless they are bad.....

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Even so $380 parts & $120 labor seems fair to me, especially if you have limited mechanical abilities.
I agree ,but how often do all of them fail at one time ?
Excellent point, what do you think about him simply getting a pro fuel rail injector cleaning?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
At 100k , it can't hurt

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
but does he even need them ?

I doubt upgrading the injectors on a stock motor will gain any HP unless they are bad.....
I don't think he needs 8 for sure....

And no, upgraded injectors will not add anything.

I don't know what year LS1 we're talking about but the standard injectors can provide for a motor making in the low 400s.

There are a lot of other things to do before that air pump is starved of fuel !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts