Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wandered over here from the C3 forum to ask a couple questions of the C4 crowd. Since the early 70s, hp had dropped significantly in all engines including the Vette. The last 10 years worth of stock C3s weren't noted for their blazing speed or ¼ mile times, and except for a couple engine offerings the C4s weren't either. I know starting in 92 the engines in the C4s were at least back to 300hp, & 330 for the 96.

I haven't driven a go-out-and-play car for a lotta years. My son recently bought a 99 Z28 LS1 with 305 stock hp. He gave me the keys, I jumped on it & it surprized the hell outta me with as quick as it smoked the tires at 20mph, burned through most of second & took off. I know my brothers 82 C3 was never that quick, engine is now DOA & that's what I'm thinking for my project car.

My questions for the C4 crowd . . .

Is yours stock or not?

If not, what did you do to it?

Can yours beat the LS1 Zs & TAs and the LS powered Goats?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
836 Posts
C-4

C-4'S Need alot of Work To get Them To Run......Ist Ya Got to Make Them Breath......Put Some After market add on's ........& a 200 Shot of "NITROUS" Then They will Get Down The Road !! I can Get 500 HP......

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Well, my 85 is stock but the stock l98 85 puts out 333lb torque which is a higher torque value than the Z28 at 325lb torque so up to arround 4000rpm the vette will easily pull its own and spin the tires for you as much as you want.....above that the higher hp z28 car will win out, but for a street car who cares.........

·
Registered
24 Posts
c-4 stock or not

mine is a 95 coupe, not stock, but dont think it would beat an ls1.fuel cutoff I think is 5700 so up top where ls1 rolls I would be done.eventually I will get an ls1 vette.:duel:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My '96 that I recently purchased (always wanted a C4) is my first 100% original/stock, at 20k miles..it takes some getting used to, the mellow sound,
not sure how long I can live with that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have an 84, STOCK with 53,000. Mine runs very well. Its not the fasted car on the road but then again, its NOT a car.....ITS A CORVETTE ! ! ! I dont race it, and rarely spin the tires. When a stang or something else tries me, i jsut smile and wave. Let em wonder ! ! :flasher:

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have an 84, STOCK with 53,000. Mine runs very well. Its not the fasted car on the road but then again, its NOT a car.....ITS A CORVETTE ! ! ! I dont race it, and rarely spin the tires. When a stang or something else tries me, i jsut smile and wave. Let em wonder ! ! :flasher:
Speaking of Stang, I had one pull up next to me on the highway yesterday thinking he was a badass and then I think he changed his mind once he saw the fender emblem :smilielol5:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think most of us out here with the 25 year old + car have gone though them I know Mine not all stock

It's a very mild build and on paper it shoud give a 2002 C5 a run for it money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine is mostly stock but the 300hp and 340 tq will brake the tires loose at 20 no problem add a set of longtubes a small cam and you will be runing dead even with those cars how ever as cheap as it is to build a gen 1 sbc if it's going in a 82 c3 I would just do that

·
Registered
39 Posts
mine is an 87 stock as far as i know might have had a chip changed. 240hp 385lbs of torque at the wheels. I have never been beat at a red light. if I want to pass it is right there. fun fun fun

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine is a 95 with only an exhaust mod that I know of and the minor K & N /throtlebody bypass,runs very well,well enough it will scare people riding in the passengers seat.
I also have a 307 rearend.
really wish she was a stick

What was your question?
I would stick with something without an opti if I were you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Built

My 87 has a built LT1 doing around 370-380 hp and I add a 200hp shot 1/4 mile at 11.26 best so far:flasher:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 94 is a lot of fun to drive, and it is stock. It lists @ 300 hp and 340 ft lb torgue. I have 157,000 miles on mine, a fresh full tune up, new water pump, newly rebuilt transmission, and a rebuilt front suspension with a larger anti sway bar added. UPS just delivered my new tennis shoes for it, and I will have them mounted and balanced before the weekend.
GM would never allow it's pony cars to be built to outrun their flagship sports car. However, your son's Camaro is considered the next generation for GM, with the all aluminum LS1, and the power band is much wider on the newly designed engines which run much more efficient than the old iron block designs. Most later model stock C4s can run close with the next generation Camaros.
If you get ahold of that 82 vette, just have fun with it; no matter what you plan to do with it.
Drive on!!:patriot:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all your input. I would have thought most everyone with a Vette has at least one or two things to do to it to perk it up and make it more personal. Even way back to the mid 60s early 70s, around here standard Vette mods . . . standard any muscle mods . . . were headers, cam, carb and intake . . . to start . . . and that was when they had the power and speed to begin with. Growing up Vettes were always the top of the food chain. Anybody else compared their car to a Vette. With the post 73 cars and the tremendous loss of hp, the Vettes were still on top, but for that year, or couple years till the next change in the motors. It did surprise me that just a Cameo would be that much quicker than a whole bunch of years of Corvettes.

My son is 21 in 3 months. It's probably been 25 years since we had our 77 TA . . . with the standard mods, and 25 years since I've driven anything with some real hp again. That Z was a real pleasant surprise, and with the LS1 motor, of course, I wanted to compare it to the Vettes. Your last few years of C4s with the LT1 and LT4 engines run about the same hp stock, and I know the 82 can't keep up with the Z.

My looking for a toy to go out and play again started as looking at a Z06. Then I started looking around to see where I could get more Vette for my buck and saw a LS7 conversion for the C3s, and how I found this forum. I've looked at a bunch of different ways to put alot of hp in that car, and am still thinking about his, because it's sat since 1993/4.

I know we don't street/freeway race, and 6 cylinders and 32mpg freeway is proper and reasonably efficient, but . . . it was such a BLAST to stomp down on the pedal, have that thing start smokin the tires and take off!! I MISS IT !!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have an 87 it's currently all stock and will pretty much remain that way throughout this year as I save my pennies for a 427 SBC, TPiS mini-ram, undecided heads, rebuild and upgrade the spare 700 I picked up, and a Dana 44. I have new 17" wheels on the way, and plan on upgrading the brakes, suspension, and cooling system this year to prepare for the future added HP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My '89 L98 is stock save for the 1.6 roller rockers, and BoschII injectors. The main cat is removed with a "test pipe" in it's place. It has 3.33 gears and 700R4 automatic. My nephew has a bone stock '04 GTO 5.7 ls1 with 3.08 gears and automatic. We lined them up one time. My Vette got a better take off, and it stayed ahead of the GTO til our marked off 1200ft mark. Vette was leading by a door at the 1000ft mark. At the quarter mile, the Vette was behind by less than a fender. I think my gears were the biggest help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 1990 Coupe that came from the factory claiming 250 HP and 350 Ft lps. It now has a Vortec Ram Cold Air Induction System, Flo-Master Exhaust, B&M shift kit in the transmission, High Performance Electronic Ignition System, (The previous owner said he added a high Performance Computer Chip upgrade, but doesn't remember what kind...He is rather old now). It now Dyno's at 303 hp and 390 Ft. Lps. If your running around 30 mph and tromp down, you better have a good grip on the wheel or it will get sideways with you in a hurry..... My wife's Mustang will NOT Keep up......

Also upgraded the brakes with drilled and slotted rotors, 4 piston calipers, and ceramic pads. Don't care how fast it goes if it dont stop good!:coffeetime:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 1987 Convertible is a daily driver and completly stock. What good is all that HP and speed when the fastest you can go on the turnpike or expressway is 70mph anyways. Not to mention with the price of gas these days mores horses more fuel.
Call me old school but mines for Crusin' and for Lookin'.......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts