Chevy Corvette Forum banner

YOUR C3 vs . . . my kid

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
From the other post, my son just bought a 99 Z28 with a LS1 that surprized me with how quick the car is. It's suppose to have 305 hp stock. I know since 73 the hp on the Vette engines . . . actually ALL engines . . . has gone down drastically with the numbers down around 200 - 220 hp for the C3s. Not to leave anyone out, 68 to 72s how many Zs & TAs have you smoked?

I was wondering if most people start modding (keep modding) their C3 to bring it back up to Vette speed. Oh yea, swapping out the whole engine/drivetrain does count as a modification . . . 8^)
Is your C3 stock?
If not, what have you done to it?
Can your C3 beat a LS1 (1999 - 2002) Z28 or TA, or the new heavy a$$ LS powered GTOs?

#5 ·
david78 I know from 74 to 86 the national speed limit was reduced to 55 mph, but prior to and after had states with 70, 75 and 80 mph for a freeway speed limt. I don't know of any muscle, or any car . . . and I don't consider a Yugo a real car . . . that had a problem with 70mph.

fish there aren't very many cars on the road that can keep up with yours. Too bad the kill stories forum is so loaded down with ads it's barely worth looking over. . . just like the Z06 . . . I imagine you could throw in a couple interesting posts over there too.

MIKE80, you really think the Cameo out-handles a C3?? We had a 77 TA for about 6 years, mild mods and I'd never back down on a Vette . . . or just about anything else. It did handle really well, but I didn't think it handled nearly as well as a Vette. His Z handles good, and I've never put it through it's paces, but better than a Vette?

I know we're all good proper drivers that always obey the speed limit and would never street/freeway race another car but . . . hypothetically . . . anyone else out there take on a LS1 Z or TA and what did you do to your Vette to get it back up to speed?
Pretend your posting to the kills thread . . .

#6 ·
david78 I know from 74 to 86 the national speed limit was reduced to 55 mph, but prior to and after had states with 70, 75 and 80 mph for a freeway speed limit. I don't know of any muscle, or any car . . . and I don't consider a Yugo a real car . . . that had a problem with MPH.

correction on my post 110 MPH was fast then
in late 1990's 160 mph is fast ( 200 mph is fast now)
fishslayer would have good kill stories but are other cars worth the gas and 10 seconds of time
maybe the fun of it?

#11 · (Edited)
MIKE80, you really think the Cameo out-handles a C3?? We had a 77 TA for about 6 years, mild mods and I'd never back down on a Vette . . . or just about anything else. It did handle really well, but I didn't think it handled nearly as well as a Vette. His Z handles good, and I've never put it through it's paces, but better than a Vette?
Sorry, I should have worded my earlier post better, so I fixed it. My vette would definitely leave the Camaro behind. Especially since I have the VBP Performance Plus suspension, 275/ 40 ZR 17 tires, and about 500hp. I'd lose top end with my 4 speed and 370 rear gears, but I'm working on getting a six speed.

#8 ·
my favorite looking is the goldish 82
unfortunately , it couldn't pull a sick baby out of bed

#15 ·
SPEED = $$$$$
HOW FAST YOU WANNA GO ?
:thumbsup3:

#17 ·
Bucwheat I've always thought the Corvette C3s were the . . . am I describing a woman? . . . the most gorgeous, hot, sexy, like it's going fast standing still American car ever built. The last couple years looked especially so. The only other car with that same look is the Ferrari 308 (think Magnum PI) both just say something to every other car on the road, like “don’t you wish you looked this good!”

Vettex2 might be like his, it’s not really gold, more kinda grayish gold, with the tri-color interior . . . that needs replaced? And yes, the hatch opens on his too.

Mike80, now that’s a Vette again! With 500 hp, that would definitely leave that Z behind . . . 200 more horse & lighter too. I think he has a 273 rear-end, real easy gears, but freeway, 70 is about 2300 on the tac. 275s all around or just the back?

Newfie . . . . . . . .

Fish, yours and Mike80’s is Vette fast and has to be a riot to go out and play in, but

Showme’s toy is absolutely crazy fast! . . . . I LOVE crazy fast!!! What hp are you looking to end up with your new setup?

What rear ends do the Nelson’s & Lingenfelters use?

With reading through the forums these past months thinking about a project, I seem to constantly change, revise, and even question the whole crazy idea over and over again. I’ve learned a lot reading about other people’s projects, what they went through and got through, and the time it took to do it. What ever I end up buying to start with, I know where I will eventually end up. Your 500hp is a perfect start putting an engine together that’s strong enough to do something wild like Showme is looking at. But then I think if that 300hp Z put that much of a grin on my face . . . it’s been soooo long . . . maybe start with that, go play for a season & decide where to go from there. But I want my Vette to run like a Vette . . . the Vettes that I remember.

#18 ·
Yeap my diff,is my weak link so far and it will NEED to be up graded.When I switched over to C-4 running gear the old Big block rear was changed to in favor of cutting weight to a weak dana 36 with 308 gears.I have two extra 71 diffs one has been rebuild w/373gears.I will try to fab it to where I keep the c-4 suspension and use the c-3 diff.Still might not be enought for the strip and slicks but should hold on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.