Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on trying to bring a '67 Coupe back to life. A lot of the metal reinforcement brackets i.e. seat belts & seats that are attached to the underside of body need to be replaced and they're held in with Aluminum rivets. According to info. I've found it looks like I need:

1. An impact rivet gun
2. Rivet setting tool (attaches to the rivet gun to deform rivet head)
3. A Backing Bar (to hold against the other side of the rivet)

Anyone have any or all of these that they would sell or rent?

My project:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd just go to harbor frieght and but what you need , it's cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response vettex2. I've already checked there but those guns aren't the impact style that I need. Those or at least the ones I saw are for the rivets that pull a pin to deform the backside of the rivet. The ones on the earlier vettes are either a solid or tubular Aluminum rivets and they have to be hit and deformed and you also need someone or something to hold a backing bar on the other side so you don't knock the rivet out as you hit it with the impact tool. If you run across any like that ... let me know!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Maybe try McMaster Carr.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks vettex2 ... I'll check it out. I found some Rivet Guns on eBay that aren't too expensive that seem like they would work and also Bucking Bars that you use behind the rivet. Then I found a really neat thread on this subject and may not need everything I mentioned ... at least worth a try and if it doesn't work I can always go back to eBay and spend some bucks!

Good C2/C3 Riveting Link: Question on applying body assembly rivets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts