Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car ran fine went to start it and nothing. but heard a wirring motor sound.
took key out and still heard wirring sound
opened hod and smoke was coming from starter motor area. disconnected battery and reattached it. it stopped motor. turned key and same thing happened.
pulled starter fuse and push started car to get home.
why would the starter spin without engaging the flywheel, and keep running after key is removed?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
sounds like the solenoid was bad and now the starter is toast
change the starter
before you hook up the battery , look for any burnt wires and check the ignition switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i got a new starter which i will put in this week. but how would a bad solenoid cause the starter to spin with the key out of the ignition. that is the weird part. my mechanic said to replace the starter and starter relay. i am now searching for where the starter relay is located.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks, i got a new starter which i will put in this week. but how would a bad solenoid cause the starter to spin with the key out of the ignition. that is the weird part. my mechanic said to replace the starter and starter relay. i am now searching for where the starter relay is located.
The power to the starter does not run through the keyswitch. The key causes the solenoid (basically another switch) connect power to the starter. So if it gets stuck on, it doesn't matter if the signal from the key tells it to stop...

:seeya:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand that the current goes through a relay. c5's dont have starter relays, they have theft deterant relay that the current runs through. i am not sure where this is located. i think this relay is faulty. i will replace the starter after i figure out what is causing it to stay spinning after i attempt to start the car. i don't want to burn up another starter motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts