Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my drivers side wiper arm wanting to wiper right off the windscreen pillar. I have adjusted to the assembly manual specs but it is way out . Any advice would be great. regards Torn1965

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is the wiper arm on the shaft in the correct place? It could be that the arm is off and the adjustment in the transmission link won't have enough travel to compensate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wiper adjusment

Sorry guys but arm and shaft are master splined and can only fit in one position. Thanks anyhow. Regards Torn

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
sorry ,I guess its been longer than I thought since I had one off., don t remember it being mastered....is it possible you have them switched rt and left?......Ok ,I just went out and looked at mine, they are not master splined ..and it is not possible to mix them .. So I checked my shop manual and it says to install the driver side on the spindle so as to leave 3/8 inch from reveal molding stop

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No way to move arm in relation to where it lotcates on drive shaft as my 73 has a square section on shaft and square groove in arm end and they must line up to fit arm on shaft. GM must have changed design. Been on forum here in australia and one guy said he bent arm to limit travel (not at this desparate state yet). Question : Are vettes prone to bending wiper arms over time and use? If so which ones the arms from the motor to spindles or the actual wiper arm its self. Once again any input is helpful. Regard Torn

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
never heard of or experience bent wiper arms myself, and I ve been driving and working on these since 1972.. the C3 I have now is an 81, they must have changed it somewhat, .. I was thinking about it today, is it possible that you have the little arm on the motor , flipped over? I just can t think of a reason why it would rotate so far..When the blades park, are they in the correct spot ? and you can t get any more adjustment out of the linkage?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Have you ever tried loosening the slotted adjustment next to the bellcrank? The adjustment only allows about 3/8" THERE but it goes a LONG way at the wiper blade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have adjusted arms as per assemble manual instructions . Right arm ok in operation and parking, Left arm parks ok but wipers right off screen. maybe I should sell vet and buy a honda!Regards Torn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that link ,had a look exactly the same instructions as my assembly manual ,I will have another go at it before any bending will take place . Torn

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a '71, and like Mr. Retire said, there is an adjustment on the horozontal cranking arm that is kinda hard to see at first. I had a problem with adjustment simular to what you are talking about, found said adjuster, and 5 minutes later, was wiping just dandily. LMAO!

Give it a second look.

T.Huck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts