Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Vette. I have a problem with the passenger side window. I can not get the motor to work up or down. I had installed a new motor about 6 months ago and it worked fine but was extremely fast. Then it just stopped working. I took it back and ordered another one. Put it in and nothing. So, I took that one back and got another one. NOTHING. I have power at the pigtail. I even put an extra ground wire on the motor housing to the door frame to make sure I was getting a good ground. Does an 81 have a window motor regulator under the console like the 78 and older does? What could the problem be?

· Registered
10,519 Posts
I have a 1981 Vette. I have a problem with the passenger side window. I can not get the motor to work up or down. I had installed a new motor about 6 months ago and it worked fine but was extremely fast. Then it just stopped working. I took it back and ordered another one. Put it in and nothing. So, I took that one back and got another one. NOTHING. I have power at the pigtail. I even put an extra ground wire on the motor housing to the door frame to make sure I was getting a good ground. Does an 81 have a window motor regulator under the console like the 78 and older does? What could the problem be?

Over the years I have found power window problems are usually caused by bad connections at the rocker switch. As far as the relay under the console goes I believe the same relay was used for all the C3's. The relay has an overheat switch that will stop it from working for several minutes any time it gets overheated. But before ripping everything apart check the rocker switch and make sure the connections are making a good contact with the switch.

· Registered
210 Posts
With my 1980, the power windows have been a source of buying aspirin since I got the vette.
Put power to the window motor and confirm it works. Use a voltmeter and check the harness connector plug for power. Be careful not to damage the connectors in the plug when you insert the test leads. Don't go from one of the leads in the plug to a ground on the car, keep the 2 test leads on the plug. When you work the switch, a digital voltmeter will read power if the switch is working. When the meter shows a negative symbol in-front of the number, it means the polarity reversed for the window to go in the other direction. If you don't get correct power at the plug, you need to check the wiring to the switch.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I have installed 3 different motors and a new rocker switch. There is power at the plug. The motors will not work even when it is out of the door. When I move the rocker switch you can hear it click in the door, that is when it is installed. Also the alternator gauge goes down. what the heck is the problem?????

· Registered
910 Posts
good diagram Ray
Yeah, for the '75 it' a keeper. Not sure if it's helping out our friend with the '81, though.

Ok, I have installed 3 different motors and a new rocker switch. There is power at the plug. The motors will not work even when it is out of the door. When I move the rocker switch you can hear it click in the door, that is when it is installed. Also the alternator gauge goes down. what the heck is the problem?????
Does your '81 have the same (or similar) components as in the diagram? Maybe we can take this a step at a time.

· Registered
910 Posts
... Also the alternator gauge goes down. what the heck is the problem?????
I experienced something similar some years ago. Whenever I used an accessory: turn signal, brakes, etc., the battery gauge would dip hard. I found the wires frayed in the plug at the alternator. They were still making contact but there wasn't enough conductor to carry any substantive load. Your windows suck load.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It does look like the diagram to an extent. I have not pulled the top panel off. Only the passenger side panel. I do not see a relay. And no one offers one for an 80 -82. That is why I am not sure if there is one. The drivers side window works fine. Like I said, the motor will not work even when out of the door. This is actually the 4 motor I have installed. The one that was in the car when I bought it I thought went bad, so I installed another one. It worked fine for about a month. It was really moving way to fast. Then it stopped. So I have since installed 2 more new ones and neither of them will do a darn thing. I am not the dumbest rock in the basket but I am getting stumped on this one.

· Registered
910 Posts
I did think the relay in that circuit was done away with at some point, but am not sure nor do I know at which year it may have been deleted. The speedy motor function is confusing, I'll give you that for sure. All things being equal, what you have on the passenger side should be the same on the driver side. I find it odd that the motor doesn't work outside the car- with 12vdc and a good ground it should. Do you get the same results when testing for up that you get when testing for down? I had probs with my passenger side motor and found it to be a combination of old wiring at the console switch and dirty electrical connections at the motor plug and a poor ground at the pw relay. Talk about a compounded problem ...

We'll get there. Stick with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.