Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK SV gang, lets hear your thoughts / reasons why the non vented optispark distributor are the cause of so much pain and agony in the C4 community. I'm soon to be on my third opti. The two aftermarket optis that I've installed on my 94 coupe were modified to vent, but this appeared not to have prolong their life on my DD as I was lead to believe. One lasted almost a year and the 2'nd last less than 6 months.. Sensor problems appear to be the main culprit by what little research I've done on the internet. Neither of the opti that I've install or remove showed any signs of moisture being the causing of failure!! So lets hear it!! What do we do other than sell the car.. Who has had long term success and with who's opti..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
OK SV gang, lets hear your thoughts / reasons why the non vented optispark distributor are the cause of so much pain and agony in the C4 community. I'm soon to be on my third opti. The two aftermarket optis that I've installed on my 94 coupe were modified to vent, but this appeared not to have prolong their life on my DD as I was lead to believe. One lasted almost a year and the 2'nd last less than 6 months.. Sensor problems appear to be the main culprit by what little research I've done on the internet. Neither of the opti that I've install or remove showed any signs of moisture being the causing of failure!! So lets hear it!! What do we do other than sell the car.. Who has had long term success and with who's opti..
I'm on my 6th I think, this one has been holding up for quite a while. I hate the design, nothing you tell me will change that. I have read about it, I understand it. If I had the money I would of converted over to coil packs and LS1 PCM a long time ago.

When I first got the car, the first one went out I guess due to age. I then made the mistake of going to advance auto parts and getting those units...big mistake. Those next 2-3 went to **** in under 6k miles. The next 2 or 1....I forget...went out I think due to an oil leak.

Now if I had even more money I would do an LS1 swap since the C4 grew on me, I love it.

The LS1 will be a ton better platform to work on. Count how many oil leak potentials an LT-1 has compare it to an LS1....

My LT-1 has been bullet proof, I've put up with it and kept it running. I would rather have an LS1 in there.

That's JMHO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you isolate your current no start condition to the opti spark? Also, is your optispark vented to atmosphere or vented to vacuum?

Here is a good article on how to fix the problem: http://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/c4/user-tech-tips/Optispark-Repair.php
Thanks for your quick response, and no I have not isolated current problem, although what little I've done and have help with seems to now point to the opti and not a fuel issue. As I had install a new vented one 6 months ago I felt the need to ask why some of us were having such bad luck with them. Thanks for sharing the reference tech article. In venting mine I followed the advise in another vette magazine. But in studying how I was told to do it and now stepping back to look at it after reading your tech article it appears my way caused the problem. At no time was I instructed to make sure to seal all possible air/water entry into the opti itself, nor told to run the incoming air line to the opti thru a filter in the cabin. All I did was run a unfilter line from the air intake to the opti and then run the drain line from the opti to the vacuum port on the intake.. In other words I introduced high humidity air (Gulf Goast) dirrectly into the opti. What can I say but da!! Will keep you all posted. Dale

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Good luck, there is nothing more frustrating than a chronic problem like that. IMO Chevrolet should have redesigned the whole distributor system, had a recall and fixed all the cars free. That opti spark was a known problem from day one to Chevrolet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good luck, there is nothing more frustrating than a chronic problem like that. IMO Chevrolet should have redesigned the whole distributor system, had a recall and fixed all the cars free. That opti spark was a known problem from day one to Chevrolet.
I,ve replaced one while i owned the car. They do work well... when they work ! A GM opti is supposed to last around 60k

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the L98 not the opti-spark. All the opti sparks I have experience with were in Black and White Caprices. Maybe the short life of replacements is because they were made off shore. WE used the cheapest parts we could find and had a high failure rate.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have the L98 not the opti-spark. All the opti sparks I have experience with were in Black and White Caprices. Maybe the short life of replacements is because they were made off shore. WE used the cheapest parts we could find and had a high failure rate.
Yep, to those who cut corners will soon learn lol. Buy the expensive GM one or you will end up wasting more money in silicone, tools, coolant and razor blades by buying the cheap optisparks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
No, do not buy a GM one, MSD makes a bullet proof one but it is expensive.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0611_corvette_lt1_msd_distributor/viewall.html
The thing is nearly 600 bucks!!!...last time I saw.

Pretty funny when you think about the fact that if you save up another 500-800, you can buy a whole LT-1 motor :smilielol5:. A little bit more and you get yourself an LS1.

If I don't swap in an LS1 the next time my opti goes bad I'm going to kick myself in the ***....then again, all if funds are available.

Just hope this last opti I installed goes on for over 50k, been pretty good so far.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yep, I have a 85 L98 myself, absolutely reliable car, but I was thinking about upgrading to a 95 or 96 LT1 until I discovered that they also have optispark problems even with the upgraded optispark.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yep, I have a 85 L98 myself, absolutely reliable car, but I was thinking about upgrading to a 95 or 96 LT1 until I discovered that they also have optispark problems even with the upgraded optispark.
Funny when I first got my 92' I later found out it came with the LT-1. I was really happy cause it had more hp than the L-98........little did I know it packed an opti spark at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.