Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone won any awards for your Corvette? I was wondering what all is involved in preparation for a car show? How clean does the car need to be? Are we talking white glove?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
I used to live in the northeast. I susepct here as there, there are defined published criteria for the "judged" shows. There are three classes and for those entered it is effectively a cleaning contest. In a judged show a judge or team of judges will arrive at your car and follow a checklist for inspecting and judging each car. Depending upon the class you are entered in they will inspect the exterior only (street class), interior and exterior (super street) and lastly interior, exterior and engine compartment (show class). In the judged classes modifications and custom parts actually can cause points to be deducted because the car can't be judged on par with a stock car. The classes are generally broken out by body style and year and most have a custom class where a modified car will be entered. These tend to be the most fair but also require the most effort from the entrant. In judged, clean is everything and it needs to be meticulous. Once you have gone over every aspect of the car and removed any and all dirt, lint, dust and debris...strart over and do it all again. You will be amazed at how much you still find.

We also have a number of shows around the area that are based on spectators choice or participants choice. In these shows a ballot is handed out to each car that enters and or each person that shows up to view the cars. In these cases fair goes out the window. The person that has the most friends in the area or the person who belongs to the largest club in the area will most likely win because at the end of the day, the voting (not judging) will be done by participants (other club members) or spectators and the only criteria is how much they like you or if a particular color or modification appeals to them.

I always enjoy going to the shows but I seldom enter my car. I always keep my car clean and detailed but it is not on par with those in our area that are show crazy, we actually have people around here that only drive their car to the shows and nowhere else. I simply won't do that. If I wanted a diecast I'll buy one to look at.

If you enjoy your friends company and enjoy looking at nice cars, go enjoy your friends and the cars. At the end of the day what really matters is that you are happy with and enjoy your car. Don't worry about a trophy to reinforce it. To me, at any show I attend if someone stops and wants to talk to me about my car, ask me questions about it or a particular mod or simply compliement some aspect of it, that is an award that no trophy will ever replace. Combine that with a nice day spent with friends and great cars and it was worth the price of admission.

Paul :cheers:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I used to live in the northeast. I susepct here as there, there are defined published criteria for the "judged" shows. There are three classes and for those entered it is effectively a cleaning contest. In a judged show a judge or team of judges will arrive at your car and follow a checklist for inspecting and judging each car. Depending upon the class you are entered in they will inspect the exterior only (street class), interior and exterior (super street) and lastly interior, exterior and engine compartment (show class). In the judged classes modifications and custom parts actually can cause points to be deducted because the car can't be judged on par with a stock car. The classes are generally broken out by body style and year and most have a custom class where a modified car will be entered. These tend to be the most fair but also require the most effort from the entrant. In judged, clean is everything and it needs to be meticulous. Once you have gone over every aspect of the car and removed any and all dirt, lint, dust and debris...strart over and do it all again. You will be amazed at how much you still find.

We also have a number of shows around the area that are based on spectators choice or participants choice. In these shows a ballat is handed out to each car that enters and or each person that shows up to view the cars. In these cases fair goes out the window. The person that has the most friends in the area or the person who belongs to the largest club in the area will most likely win because at the end of the day, the voting (not judging) will be done by participants (other club members) or spectators and the only criteria is how much they like you or if a particular color or modification appeals to them.

I always enjoy going to the shows but I seldom enter my car. I always keep my car clean and detailed but it is not on par with those in our area that are show crazy, we actually have people around here that only drive their car to the shows and nowhere else. I simply won't do that. If I wanted a diecast I'll buy one to look at.

If you enjoy your friends company and enjoy looking at nice cars, go enjoy your friends and the cars. At the end of the day what really matters is that you are happy with and enjoy your car. Don't worry about a trophy to reinforce it. To me, at any show I attend if someone stops and wants to talk to me about my car, ask me questions about it or a particular mod or simply compliement some aspect of it, that is an award that no trophy will ever replace. Combine that with a nice day spent with friends and great cars and it was worth the price of admission.

Paul :cheers:
Great post says it all :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have shown my 71 a couple of times and have won awards everytime I have shown the car, I totally agree with Talon, I would rather just go to the show, enjoy the show and friends, jump in my car and drive off. Not one to sit around all day shining the car, drive it and enjoy.:burnout:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have not shown my car, its a 09 C6 Coupe, but I have done a few mods to it with plenty more on the way. I do plan on showing it and have had some cars in my past that I had shown. I like showing my cars and the prep is half the fun IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll enter a show-n-shine where I drive my car to the show. Those are fun and dont require a full-on show display. Won a couple Best Corvette awards. But I wont enter a true car show, the indoor type where people pay to see the cars. My car is driven.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I showed my last vette because it was so modified and I took home trophies most of the time. But it gets old! There is so much bias involved that many times, trohies go to undeserving cars. Besides, it's a $10 trophy, big deal! Now i just go to enjoy friends and look at the cars. I may enter if it's for a good charity, but when you have a car that can be bought at any dealership right now, why should you be given a trophy? As stated above, many of these shows are just cleaning contest!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have entered several, and it is a grind, clean, clean, clean. One show I was in they came around a second time to judge, and found out later it was because the scores were tied so they went over all the cars on cleanness again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll enter a show-n-shine where I drive my car to the show. Those are fun and dont require a full-on show display. Won a couple Best Corvette awards. But I wont enter a true car show, the indoor type where people pay to see the cars. My car is driven.
These are all i prefer too, for the same reason, drive in, drive out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
During summer months when it's nice I'll go to shows and enter one of my cars in. Depends on the show. I mainly go to shows to hang out with friends and have good time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts