Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here have swirls in your finish? I swear it's a full time job keeping these out of the paint. What is everyone else doing about these? I hate having shops touch the car in fear of a possible scratch. It's never ending :(

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I hear you... I believe most of them come from washing the car, so I wash it with a microfiber mitt using straight strokes instead of circular ones. I also try to keep a coat of wax in the paint by re-waxing every month at least.
The best thing I did was buy a PorterCable... Now when I find the time to wax, the results are that much better.
Mine is a DD so the swirls are always there, but it does clean up nice with Zaino:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I do my best not to swirl the paint up on my cars in the first place. I always use a good lubricating soap (like Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds) and dry most of the car using a leaf blower so I don't even touch the paint. I have had very good results using a foam mitt (white Schmitt) on the cars for the last couple of years.
If I do get any light scratches or swirls in my paint I polish them out.

Below is a link to a detail I recently did on my black Z06. It had been 2 years since I polished the car and it did not have any swirls. I attribute no swirls in the paint to my proper washing and drying techiques. It did have some random light scraches that were starting to bug me and there were the reason I ended up polishing the car.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=34403

Here's few pics from the detail:

Before this I polished the car when it was brand new. In the short time the dealer had the car they had already swirled up the paint due to their poor washing and drying methods.

On a side note black paint shows swirls and paint inperfections more than any other color. White paint shows swirls and paint inperfections the least. If you have a black or dark colored car and what your paint to look good you need to take proper care of it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sword that is one heck of a finish you have!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Use Zaino products and follow their directions, A friend of mine purchased a used Black C5 full of swirl marks. We followed Zaino's directions and within a couple hours he had a show room finish. he was one happy boy. On my black 05 ,I try to put a new layer of Zaino down about every 2 washes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Use Zaino products and follow their directions, A friend of mine purchased a used Black C5 full of swirl marks. We followed Zaino's directions and within a couple hours he had a show room finish. he was one happy boy. On my black 05 ,I try to put a new layer of Zaino down about every 2 washes.
Zaino does have some products with fillers that will help hide swirls to make them less noticeable but it won't get rid of them. As soon as the product washes/wares off the swirls are still going to be there. Nothing Zaino makes is going to do it. Zaino is one of the few companies that call their products a polish when they are really a paint sealant. . If you want to remove the swirls you need to polish them out with a real polish with micro abrasives, a cutting paid and polisher. Once you get the swirls out you need to properly wash your car to you don’t put them back in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
swirl away

Cars don't have swirls in their finish. Churches have swirls in their finish. We drive a car. We don't drive a church. Try it, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Zaino does have some products with fillers that will help hide swirls to make them less noticeable but it won't get rid of them. As soon as the product washes/wares off the swirls are still going to be there. Nothing Zaino makes is going to do it. Zaino is one of the few companies that call their products a polish when they are really a paint sealant. . If you want to remove the swirls you need to polish them out with a real polish with micro abrasives, a cutting paid and polisher. Once you get the swirls out you need to properly wash your car to you don’t put them back in.
Yes :iagree:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do my best not to swirl the paint up on my cars in the first place. I always use a good lubricating soap (like Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds) and dry most of the car using a leaf blower so I don't even touch the paint. I have had very good results using a foam mitt (white Schmitt) on the cars for the last couple of years.
If I do get any light scratches or swirls in my paint I polish them out.

Below is a link to a detail I recently did on my black Z06. It had been 2 years since I polished the car and it did not have any swirls. I attribute no swirls in the paint to my proper washing and drying techiques. It did have some random light scraches that were starting to bug me and there were the reason I ended up polishing the car.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=34403

Here's few pics from the detail:

Before this I polished the car when it was brand new. In the short time the dealer had the car they had already swirled up the paint due to their poor washing and drying methods.

On a side note black paint shows swirls and paint inperfections more than any other color. White paint shows swirls and paint inperfections the least. If you have a black or dark colored car and what your paint to look good you need to take proper care of it.
:thumbsup3::thumbsup3:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts