Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at the rearend on this vette, i need to do some work--but i am now at the power level where a stock rebuild just aint gonna cut it. so, my 2 choices as far as i can see are--#1--BIG bucks way, dragvette/toms differentials route. keeps stock design just eliminates a lot of the 'problem areas', pros are still independant rear,probably drives really well,ease of install--all geometry/etc...already done for you. cons-$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!! or route #2-ghetto fabulous way. get a short dana 44 from an early CJ or something similar, and run ladders / coilovers. pros-stupid,simple,works. proven record,easy to work on, parts easily available,STRONG,relatively cheap. cons--no more independent rear, mucho geometry/fabricating.....any ideas for me here ? thanks once again all ! :thumbsup:

· Registered
232 Posts
How do you want to drive it? Straight drag car, or great handling on twisty road/ road racing track, etc. I have VBP Performance Plus suspension full kit. One day I would like to add Dragvette's 6 link to it since it is compatible with my suspension kit. My suspension handles great and is fully adjustable. The 6 link would make it even better! I run 275/40 ZR17 Nitto NT555 tires all around. Build it to how you want to drive it. I tried to make mine easily adjustable for all around fun. :thumbsup:

· Registered
10,507 Posts
the Dana 44 in mine is rebuilt with HD parts, and so far its holding up at 525HP, alomost 4 years now ... altho, I wont don t slicks on it to push the limit.If goes, I m going straight axle 9in Ford

Most folks don't know why the 9" Fords are so popular until they see how they are constructed. Rather than just having two tapered roller bearings in front of the pinion gear the 9" Ford also uses a straight roller bearing behind the pinion gear to add additional support under brute torque.

Under power the pinion gear will actually bend as it tries to climb up the ring gear and that additional rear bearing prevents bending. One of the most durable rear ends ever made and why they are so popular among drag racers.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most folks don't know why the 9" Fords are so popular until they see how they are constructed. Rather than just having two tapered roller bearings in front of the pinion gear the 9" Ford also uses a straight roller bearing behind the pinion gear to add additional support under brute torque.

Under power the pinion gear will actually bend as it tries to climb up the ring gear and that additional rear bearing prevents bending. One of the most durable rear ends ever made and why they are so popular among drag racers.
the pinion angle also eats 5% more power due to drag and friction.....8.75 mopar = ALL nodular casings, ALL 31 spline. but you just cant beat a dana 60.....i would love to do either of those but hard to find one short enough--hence the dana 44 from a cj idea. i am trying to do this on a shoestring budget, so far including buying the car,building the 454 and swapping it in,rims tires everything i am at roughly $6000 total out of pocket......

· Registered
10,507 Posts
the pinion angle also eats 5% more power due to drag and friction.....8.75 mopar = ALL nodular casings, ALL 31 spline. but you just cant beat a dana 60.....i would love to do either of those but hard to find one short enough--hence the dana 44 from a cj idea. i am trying to do this on a shoestring budget, so far including buying the car,building the 454 and swapping it in,rims tires everything i am at roughly $6000 total out of pocket......

When I installed the Motive Gear 3.70's in my '71 I took a picture of the ring gear next to the ring gear out of my '82's aluminum Dana 44. They're both 8.5" in diameter but the '71's ring gear has much longer teeth (smaller I.D.).

Also the shank of the earlier pinions is 1.625" diameter whereas the shank of the Dana 44 is only 1.187" so the earlier C3 rear ends are a lot heftier.

In all my years of twisting wrenches I have never seen a pinion or ring gear failure; only spider gear failures and stronger spider gears are available from several aftermarket suppliers.

What ratio are you wanting to run? For the earlier C3's Motive makes 3.55's and 3.70's.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts

the 9 inch Fords are virtually indestructible because of that bearing design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.