Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stripped wheel stud and bolt right rear, thanks to shoddy technicians at a tire store. The book says Press the old one out using a c clamp and a socket. That might work, but not when its 20 years old. I thought about heat but was leery of that, so I cut off the damaged stud, then drilled out the a portion of the remaining bit, but not through it. It then tapped out. BIt of a struggle but it worked.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Had a stripped wheel stud and bolt right rear, thanks to shoddy technicians at a tire store. The book says Press the old one out using a c clamp and a socket. That might work, but not when its 20 years old. I thought about heat but was leery of that, so I cut off the damaged stud, then drilled out the a portion of the remaining bit, but not through it. It then tapped out. BIt of a struggle but it worked.

Either press them out or pound them out. Your choice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wheel stud!

Yikes. I love watching "techs" slam lug nuts on with an impact wrench until it stops spinning. Retards.
Ain't it great ! Send this Moron to School & He'll Eat the Books .......On a Vette the Wheel TQ. is 80 FT'LBS".........The Last JA.... I had to Stand on a Breaker Bar To Break Mine Loose....I Do This stuff Myself !

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Tightening Lug Nuts

It's a Shame U can't Get Good Help Today?

There's no excuse for over tightening a lug nut these days as most every car is running alloy wheels. And wheel studs don't last forever either. I have used a torque wrench on my '82's wheels ever since I bought it 23 years ago but one day I broke 4 studs. Wheel studs eventually develop tiny hairline cracks at the root of their threads and those cracks will continue to grow until the stud breaks. So a broken wheel stud is very common and not an indication it's nut has been overtightened. I have always painted my studs with Never-Seez to help prevent oxidation and subsequent cracking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did all 10 on the rear of my 91. Dropped the callipers and took the rotors off and they hammered rite out, not hard to do at all. I know I'll catch flack for this but I used a sacraficial nut and the hole end of an ajustable wrench and pulled the new ones in with the impact gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts