Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
depends on the type of spacer. they have hubcentric spacers and other types so they stay in place. we have them on our zo6 converted c6 with 13" wide tires and has run fine for 2 years now.:beerbang:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Wheel spacers

It's VERY important to keep all of the mating surfaces clean. Every time you take your wheels off, either buff the surfaces clean with a wire buffing wheel or sand them smooth.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are wheels spacers safe to use on a Corvette? Or are these suggested as a "no no"?
An 1/8" is ok w/the stock lug nuts. Some have used up to a 1/4" but I had a problem with not enough thread engagement using a stock type lug nut.

I now have some E/T 'extended thread' lug nuts coming. These have an additional 1/4 thread below the bulge to regain what was lost with the spacer.

It's that, or longer studs.

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
For me It depends on what you plan to do with the car once you put the spacers on. I would never want them on my car if I were going to be running high performance driving events or track days. I would also recommend that you find a spacer that has a second set of lug studs on it and mounts to your lugs and provides a new, full length set of studs to mount your tires to. As an alternate plan I would suggest longer studs to replace your factory parts.

I will confess that I am not a fan of spacers but that is just me. If you are going to be casually driving or showing the car, go for it. If you want to wring every last ounce of performance out of the car on a track or twisty mountain roads I think I'd pass and do it right without the spacers.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I got to admit, I've never heard anything good about using spacers. All of the stories I've heard have been about the wheels coming off, or the lug nuts coming loose. And loose nuts will almost always get you in trouble.

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
Another thing to consider on the front is the geometry of the "front end". Even when changing wheel width, the "offset" should stay the same. Otherwise you will be changing the "tire scrub radius" and thus affect the geometry the front end is based on.:cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
For me It depends on what you plan to do with the car once you put the spacers on. I would never want them on my car if I were going to be running high performance driving events or track days. I would also recommend that you find a spacer that has a second set of lug studs on it and mounts to your lugs and provides a new, full length set of studs to mount your tires to. As an alternate plan I would suggest longer studs to replace your factory parts.

I will confess that I am not a fan of spacers but that is just me. If you are going to be casually driving or showing the car, go for it. If you want to wring every last ounce of performance out of the car on a track or twisty mountain roads I think I'd pass and do it right without the spacers.

:iagree: excellent point :goodpost:

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you plan to race the car, I would stay clear of spacers. Normal driving, I guess ok. I've never liked wheel spacers, just doesn't seem as safe, considering all the power these cars have. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are wheels spacers safe to use on a Corvette? Or are these suggested as a "no no"?
If you run it correctly and use high-quality wheel spacers, it is very safe,When shopping for spacers, make sure they're both hub centric and wheel centric. This will ensure that your wheels are centered properly. Also, consider the quality of the metal used. I've seen cheaper brands have their studs shear. If you're looking for a reputable brand, BONOSS is the way to go. They're very well built and will hold up well. I bought a set used 3 years ago and they're still perfect. Are wheel spacers good or bad for your car-BONOSS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts