Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:479: I'm looking at a set of Cray Manta wheels that are 28lbs ea. for the 18" fronts and 30 lbs. ea. for the rears. They seem to be heavier than factory wheels. Does this make any differance in performance or operation of the vehicle?
As an example: A set of ZR1 wheels are 26lbs. on the front and 28.5lbs for the rear.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the less unsprung weight the better
but
you probably won't notice it too much on the street

·
Registered
709 Posts
jcf3027 Do you have a ZR1? ZR1 wheels are even wider and weigh more than ZO6 wheels and ZO6 wheels are wider and weigh more than a base LS3 corvette wheels.

I agree with vettex2.
Also I would say that it's extra weight that your car has to push and slow down.
Every little pound or ounce you can save here and there adds up. Weight is directly involved in Horse Power. Less weight, the faster the car. :burnout:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you drag race a lot, the weight might cost you as much as .02; not enough to matter for street use if you like the looks of the wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As already stated, unsprung weight is the ultimate enemy of performance. The heavier the wheel the harder it is for the car to accelerate, stop and turn. It hurts in fuel economy as well wear and tear, as the motor has a higher load put on it due to the extra strain. However, as also already stated, you honestly wont notice that big of a difference on the street.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response. No, I don't have a ZR1. I have a '07 C6 and I was referring to aftermarket ZR1 wheels. I don't plan on racing or anything other than driving the car for normal use.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Enjoy !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts