Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger on my 454". The throttle shaft on my old #3310 was getting a bit loose so I decided to give the old mare a treat; a brand new carburetor. What kind of repairs have you folks been doing lately?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only major repair I did was the rear trailing arms. The front bushings have been shot for years but I've avoided this like the plaque but the 1-2 shift started causing the back end to wiggle back and forth a bit under normal driving so I raised the back of the car and checked the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position of the tires and the left side had a lot of play in fact I thought it was the wheel bearing but it was the bushing being so worn out. I live in South Florida and Vansteel is a little over 3 hours from me so I ordered a set of their rebuilt units and when they were ready I drove over and gave them my cores and brought the rebuilt units back home and installed them the next day then had a 4 wheel alignment.

I was happy that the removal of the original units on my '76 came out with no problem at all. Putting the new ones in was more difficult than I expected but I think it was due to doing the job alone so balancing the units with a jack stand and floor jack made reinstalling the front bushing bolt difficult but after a few breaks and walking away after getting frustrated and realizing I wasn't making any progress helped and it all went together great and drives considerably better now.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only major repair I did was the rear trailing arms. The front bushings have been shot for years but I've avoided this like the plaque but the 1-2 shift started causing the back end to wiggle back and forth a bit under normal driving so I raised the back of the car and checked the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position of the tires and the left side had a lot of play in fact I thought it was the wheel bearing but it was the bushing being so worn out. I live in South Florida and VanSteel is a little over 3 hours from me so I ordered a set of their rebuilt units and when they were ready I drove over and gave them my cores and brought the rebuilt units back home and installed them the next day then had a 4 wheel alignment.

I was happy that the removal of the original units on my '76 came out with no problem at all. Putting the new ones in was more difficult than I expected but I think it was due to doing the job alone so balancing the units with a jack stand and floor jack made reinstalling the front bushing bolt difficult but after a few breaks and walking away after getting frustrated and realizing I wasn't making any progress helped and it all went together great and drives considerably better now.
I had to jerk my Griffen aluminum radiator out and braze the lower outlet. The sway bar was making contact with it when I went over big uneven bumps and it eventually cracked half way around it. I used 3/4" of spacers to lower my sway bar so it will no longer make contact with the lower outlet. I also had to put a seal kit in my front right caliper that had sleeves in the outer half only. I had an awful time because the sleeve's bores were about .030" smaller in diameter than the un-sleeved bores. I just installed new silicone heater hoses and replaced my antifreeze because my old antifreeze had turned brown after 6 years of use. I used Master Mechanic antifreeze and it appeared to be identical to the Prestone "green" that has been around since the 1960's. My front tires are shot so I'll be replacing them in the next month or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts