Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 C6 with 325/30/19's Goodyear emt Supercars on it. I want a better tire that will get better traction. I tend to roast them to about 90. I have been looking at the Nitto NT05's. What are your suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want a tire for handling and street. I do not want this car set up for drag. I plan to put it on the closed coarses.
Mr. Hyde it is on but still is constantly breaking loose over and over again. I just have read that the supercar tires are not that great for traction.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well INVO's seem to be pretty popular with you c6 guys.
Invo's (stock size) have about the same traction as our stock GY. I have them right now and can't hold traction in first gear at all, any surface. On asphalt can't hold in second. In warm air comes pretty close to holding in second but still not good.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Here's Tire Racks comparision of stock size tires. Looks like the Continental Extreme Contact DW is the best for dry traction and virtually every comparison. You can change the tires size at the upper left to compare other sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...y.jsp?width=285/&ratio=35&diameter=19&type=MP
This is a great example of why consumer reviews might be a good idea if you are buying a washing machine, but are a TERRIBLE idea if you want to know what tires are best.
The Continentals are a 340 threadwear street tire. That is some hard rubber for general street usage without excessive wear. They don't even compare to a real performance tire. Its funny because they rank a lot higher than the Pilot Sport Cups on that comparison. The PS Cups are te tires the Ferrari Enzo comes with stock. The issue is that those reviews are by joe blow driving his car to cars and coffee on the weekend. Joe Blow doesn't like it when his high performance tires wear quickly because he doesn't understand that to grip, the tire has to be soft, and soft tires wear out fast. As with anything in life, this is always a compromise.

To the OP: Last I checked the stickiest tires that will fit a stock C6 and are not full blown slicks are the Toyo Proxes R888.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is a great example of why consumer reviews might be a good idea if you are buying a washing machine, but are a TERRIBLE idea if you want to know what tires are best.
The Continentals are a 340 threadwear street tire. That is some hard rubber for general street usage without excessive wear. They don't even compare to a real performance tire. Its funny because they rank a lot higher than the Pilot Sport Cups on that comparison. The PS Cups are te tires the Ferrari Enzo comes with stock. The issue is that those reviews are by joe blow driving his car to cars and coffee on the weekend. Joe Blow doesn't like it when his high performance tires wear quickly because he doesn't understand that to grip, the tire has to be soft, and soft tires wear out fast. As with anything in life, this is always a compromise.

To the OP: Last I checked the stickiest tires that will fit a stock C6 and are not full blown slicks are the Toyo Proxes R888.
Don't see that they off a stock size. http://www.racetire.com/products/toyo_r888.htm I know quite a few are running the 305/30/19 but not ideal for our size wheels. And with the smaller diameter TC/ABS may not work.

I changed to only a .26 larger diameter front tire and lost TC.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Those are great tires but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they aren't really ideal as street tires.
No, they really aren't... But if you are making a lot of power, street tires aren't ideal either... I've ran them for a while now, they wear fast but handling is unbelievable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Because the computer compares the speed of the front tires to the back tires. Stray too far from stock diameters and the computer "senses" traction loss as a result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about Firehawks?

I saw Firehawks listed as an aftermarket tire for my '09 Coupe but haven't seen them on this thread at all. I had them on my '95 and they worked pretty well for daily use, any comments or suggestions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts