Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To become ASE Certified you request a pamphlet from the ASE folks and they send it to you in the mail. At the rear of the pamphlet there is a test consisting of 50 to 60 questions. Some are true or false and some are multiple choice but fortunately all of the answers are hidden within the text of the pamphlet. You just have to read through the pamphlet over and over again to find those answers and there is no time limit.

In the early 80's when R-12 was banned I had to become ASE Certified to buy it and it took me about 3 hours to complete the test and mail it back to them. About a week later I got my Automotive Air Conditioning ASE Certification in the mail for a minimal cost.

So a person who has never picked up a wrench can become ASE Certified which makes the certification virtually worthless. To the average Joe it may seem impressive but it's not as any 7th grader could become ASE Certified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To become ASE Certified you request a pamphlet from the ASE folks and they send it to you in the mail. At the rear of the pamphlet there is a test consisting of 50 to 60 questions. Some are true or false and some are multiple choice but fortunately all of the answers are hidden within the text of the pamphlet. You just have to read through the pamphlet over and over again to find those answers and there is no time limit.

In the early 80's when R-12 was banned I had to become ASE Certified to buy it and it took me about 3 hours to complete the test and mail it back to them. About a week later I got my Automotive Air Conditioning ASE Certification in the mail for a minimal cost.

So a person who has never picked up a wrench can become ASE Certified which makes the certification virtually worthless. To the average Joe it may seem impressive but it's not as any 7th grader could become ASE Certified.
This is no longer the case. You have to have an association with a business and do everything on line now. Back when I took tests in the early 90's I worked for the Orange County Transit District (CA). Mechanics taking tests had a proctored exam right there on site. I took tests for Transit technician, Diesel Engine Mechanic, Diesel injection systems Technician, and more. Then there is a progression up to "World Class Technician." I'm not that, I gave up on that business to go into the electrical trades to make more money, but I enjoyed wrenching more.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is no longer the case. You have to have an association with a business and do everything on line now. Back when I took tests in the early 90's I worked for the Orange County Transit District (CA). Mechanics taking tests had a proctored exam right there on site. I took tests for Transit technician, Diesel Engine Mechanic, Diesel injection systems Technician, and more. Then there is a progression up to "World Class Technician." I'm not that, I gave up on that business to go into the electrical trades to make more money, but I enjoyed wrenching more.
I still remember how proud I was after I overhauled my first 8V-92 TTA Detroit Diesel 50+ years ago. Then after I had overhauled my 250th it was just another filthy engine. Lots of turbocharged and after-cooled Cats and Cummins too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts