Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 years ago I was driving by the coast near Morro Bay (California) on a 65 mph freeway. The skies were clear and the temperature was in the low 30's. About a mile ahead of me I noticed the road and the sky just above it was real dark. As I got closer I could see it was so dark I decided to reduce my speed to about 20-25 mph. As I entered that dark area I was suddenly pounded by hail that was falling so heavy my visibility was reduced to almost zero. As I crept along in the center lane I counted about 12-15 cars that had slid off the side of the road. Within about 1/4 mile the sky suddenly got clear again and I proceeded on my way.

About 5 years ago I was driving along on highway 180 during the summer. I was in a remote area that consisted mostly of low lying scrub brush and jack rabbits. Suddenly an ENORMOUS gust of wind hit the left side of my car and pushed my car clear off the road and onto the dirt shoulder. Then as suddenly as it had hit me it was gone and I continued on to my destination.

How many of you have encountered freak weather in which you came very close to having a bad wreck?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Years ago i was flying up the mountain pass to Cripple Creek about 6 in the morning. Enoying the lack of other cars at that time of day. the tight corners were a joy in the Corvette. Came around one corner and just before i hit the gas to push out of the apex i realised something didn't look right ahead of me...there was almost a foot of marble sized hail piled on the road for about a 200 yard strech. Those were a few VERY tense seconds since i didn't dare hit the brakes and one side of the road was about a 200 foot over-look of the old road below. The road before and after that section was completely dry...have no idea where all that hail came from. Lost my front air-dam and it was like hitting a wall. Kept it straight and the ice kinda coushioned me to an almost complete stop. Had to fight to push my way to the other side for fear i might get stuck in the middle. It was mid to late June...only in Colorado...Walked back and couldn't find my air-dam. Not even any clouds in the sky...it was WIERD.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I drove through rain in Florida that was so bad I used my Sony camcorders night-shot to see
while every other car stopped , I was able to pick my way trough using the 2 inch screen

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove through rain in Florida that was so bad I used my Sony camcorders night-shot to see
while every other car stopped , I was able to pick my way trough using the 2 inch screen

I experienced the same thing in EL Segundo California back in the late '60's. It rained so stinking hard everyone had to come to a complete stop. Visibility was ZERO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts