Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point does weight reduction really start making a noticeable difference in performance? 100lbs, 200lbs, 500lbs, ???

I was reading a thread about the Z06 wide body conversion and the OP had spoke about the front fenders being carbon fiber and it was a nice reduction in weight. So when does reduction of weight actually start to matter? I can't imagine shaving 20lbs would make much difference.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
When I was racing my Camaro, a quick rule of thumb was 100lbs = .1 and 1 mph in the 1/4 mile. If you are on the edge of traction, it can be even more beneficial at the launch. It also makes it easier for the car to stop and I assume it helps in handling too.

IMO, around 200 lbs is pretty noticeable in the SOTP. Think about how the car feels when a large buddy gets in the car. I notice that weight.

·
Registered
776 Posts
without hacking up the car here is a method to trim 200 lbs (rounding) i have weighed these parts

sparco seats with rails replace stock seats (50-20)*2=60
CCW rims and track tires replace stock(50-35)*4=60
braille battery =20
widebody and hood either CF or fiberglass =30
coilovers =20
carpets =10 maybe

if you could go without a passenger seat you would gain 20 more

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
without hacking up the car here is a method to trim 200 lbs (rounding) i have weighed these parts

braille battery =20
coilovers =20
carpets =10 maybe

You pulled the carpet out of your car? Did you replace with something else or kept it out?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Unless you are racing, why do this?
Depends upon what you want out of the car.

The car is fine stock. If you strip a couple hundred pounds out of the car, it will be quicker and have a shorter stopping distance. Whether those are of value to someone on the street is up to them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depends upon what you want out of the car.

The car is fine stock. If you strip a couple hundred pounds out of the car, it will be quicker and have a shorter stopping distance. Whether those are of value to someone on the street is up to them.
I agree, but in order to make a noticeable difference in either braking distance or acceleration would require major modifications to the car to accomplish the weight reduction?? So I can't see this making much sense unless you plan to race the car.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Car weighs basically 3200 lbs. Take 200 lbs out of it, and you've reduced the weight by 1/16, or 6.25%. Judge for yourself whether a weight reduction of 6+% will make a difference in how the car performs. It would kind of be like an addition of 25 HP to the 400 HP cars (and more like 27 HP for the 08's and later) as a comparison on the other side of the equation.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I agree, but in order to make a noticeable difference in either braking distance or acceleration would require major modifications to the car to accomplish the weight reduction?? So I can't see this making much sense unless you plan to race the car.
All depends upon what you consider major modifications. Sure, most people add power to increase performance, but adding power is generally cheaper than removing weight. Others don't care about A/C, 6 cd changers, hatch pulldown mechanisms, etc. and remove them.

There are a plenty of cars on here with a lot of non-stock parts, yet they are mostly street cruisers. Changes to wheels and tires, seats, hood, rear quarter panels are made by people just interested in changing the looks of the car. Yet if done with an eye towards weight savings, these mods could make the car perform better.

Take a look at the Z06 compared to the C6 and the newest Z06 model compared to the current Z06. GM is finding a way to save weight.

As far as being enough to matter, a reduction of a few feet in braking distance can the difference between hitting the car in front of you instead of just scaring the crap of yourself. :coffeetime:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have read that 100 pounds is the equivalent of 15 horsepower. I do not know that for a fact.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You pulled the carpet out of your car? Did you replace with something else or kept it out?
only temporary. although i have seen totally striped C6s at the track. different league there

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
only temporary. although i have seen totally striped C6s at the track. different league there
Are you pulling the carpet out for track days?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Are you pulling the carpet out for track days?
yep, only the mats and in the back i have a dynamat thing that comes out too.....to pass tech at HPDE and Texas Mile thats required

I'm gonna do the battery relocation from the front to the back cubbie and loose the 20lbs there too

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's fine to go on a diet, but at what $$$ cost?
Lighter parts cost more than stock, and rip the AC out etc, on a relatively new car. What about resale value?
For the track...strip da bitch, but on a street car, I want all the goodies, so to go much faster than a 200 lbs. reduction, make mine SC, or TT!

BTW:'There is ALWAYS someone faster'!

braille battery =20
coilovers =20
carpets =10 maybe

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
...and rip the AC out etc, on a relatively new car. What about resale value?
I guess when you advertise the car for sale and list A/C as an option, the polite thing to do would be to mention that it has been relocated to the trunk; freon not included. :lol: :coffeetime:

·
Registered
600 Posts
'Open window AC'! :smilielol5:

I guess when you advertise the car for sale and list A/C as an option, the polite thing to do would be to mention that it has been relocated to the trunk; freon not included. :lol: :coffeetime:

·
Registered
451 Posts
It also depends on where you take it out from. 100-200 lbs doesn't seem that much but out of one area could be a problem. Unless you are racing then I wouldn't bother. There comes a time when the car would feel more like a go-cart than a street car.

Of course people that put on Z06 fenders usually put on Z06 brakes/wheels/tires which means more weight and part of that is unsprung weight which is a lot more than sprung weight.

Of course a lot of us could probably shed a few pounds, probably not enough to make a big difference though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It also depends on where you take it out from. 100-200 lbs doesn't seem that much but out of one area could be a problem. Unless you are racing then I wouldn't bother. There comes a time when the car would feel more like a go-cart than a street car.

Of course people that put on Z06 fenders usually put on Z06 brakes/wheels/tires which means more weight and part of that is unsprung weight which is a lot more than sprung weight.

Of course a lot of us could probably shed a few pounds, probably not enough to make a big difference though.
Good point that I think many over looked, you can take off 100 or 200lbs, but it would need to be done carefully so not to through off the center of gravity. Taking off 150lbs in the rear only could cause the car to handle much differently.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
... but it would need to be done carefully so not to through off the center of gravity. Taking off 150lbs in the rear only could cause the car to handle much differently.
In the extreme that may become an issue (e.g. if you managed to pull 150lbs that existed over only one wheel), but pulling weight off the front of the car to improve the front to rear balance is common.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts