Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this waterless coolant stuff?? It seems to be some chemical you dont have to add water to for your radiator. I saw in advertised in a corvette magazine.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
its much more expensive than regular antifreeze/coolant..but, it will not make your car run any cooler, it just can stand higher temps without vaporizing.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Has anyone used this waterless coolant stuff?? It seems to be some chemical you dont have to add water to for your radiator. I saw in advertised in a corvette magazine.

I just researched "Evans" waterless coolant and see it's made for racing engines and isn't recommended for "daily driver" or cold weather driving. It also said it's a "lifetime" coolant and it costs about $40 per gallon.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
$40 a gallon??? OUCH!

But if they have found something that will cool about the same with-out the galvonic erosion of the various metals in a cooling system it would be worth the savings on parts. Any word on that?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OUCH IS RIGHT ! ! $40/gallon....doesnt our systems hold about 4 gallons??? So $160?!?!?!? Im not too sure about this stuff.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
that stuff was made for reverse flow engines and racing
not really a street application

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK....so that stuff is out the window......what do you guys think of additives like 40 Below and....crap, I cant remember the name of some other stuff I recently saw to lower the engine operating temps..:food-smiley-019:.....it get 90-95 on a regular basis here in the summer.....kinda worries me, although I havent had any problems. I have flushed the radiator and added new coolant, stat, and have a nice new water pump. :seeya:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
your best bet is still using a 50/50 mix. add a bottle of Redline or similar if you like.. if your car runs warmer than you want, the best remedy is changing the fan temp settings. don t buy into the claims of " our prodcts make your car run 40 degrees cooler". It won t! Water is still the best coolant.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Redline Water Wetter...its a coolant additive that improves heat transfer from engine to the coolant.. there are other brands too. it can drop temps a few degrees.....available at any parts store. can be used with just water for most cooling , but you will have no cold weather protection or as much lubrication of pump or corrosion resistance as a 50/50 mix

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
it's a surfactant , but basically it's glorified water pump lube
I can tell you from experience it really doesn't cool any better
we use it because it's better than nothing and glycol is not allowed

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
yeah, like I said, nothing you can buy is gonna drop your temps very much. but if you want to use one, it won t hurt anything....just don t expect too much.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
but the label says.....lol......

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Amsoil makes a Coolant Boost that can be used with straight water or with anti-freeze. It claims a 6 degree temperature reduction when used with a 50/50 anti-freeze mix and better aluminum alloy corrosion protection than Red Line.

They also have a super long life propylene glycol (not ethylene glycol which is toxic) anti-freeze that is non-toxic and bio-degradeable.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
KEY WORD : "CLAIMS"

never have seen a significant reduction in temp yet.......by any manufacturer
it's always a good idea to add something to the water for anti corrosion and W/P lube

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
OK....so that stuff is out the window......what do you guys think of additives like 40 Below and....crap, I cant remember the name of some other stuff I recently saw to lower the engine operating temps..:food-smiley-019:.....it get 90-95 on a regular basis here in the summer.....kinda worries me, although I havent had any problems. I have flushed the radiator and added new coolant, stat, and have a nice new water pump. :seeya:
RU thinking of a product called water wetter?:catfight:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That might be it....sounds familiar......I sure am glad i got the scoop here before I wasted my money on this stuff. :doh:Or is the water wetter any better???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts