Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having to charge to battery to start the car. Replaced battery. Today drove the Vette less than ten minutes. Went to restart the car and only a click. Put on jumper cables still only a click. Thought maybe the starterwas shorting out, so rocked the car in gear to get the starter to move. Still click.
Finially started, why, don't know. Driving home stepped on the brake pedal and the gas gauge went to over full. Used the turn signal and the gas gauge went to over full again. Put the car in reverse and again the gas went to over full.
I can see I have a short somewhere but here's
the new twist. Went to turn the car off and couldn't. Key wouldn't do anything. Had to stall the car to turn it off. Ideas?? Tomorrow I'm checking the starter wiring. If that's good on to the ign. switch. All of this happening and the fuses are ok. Hasn't blown any??
Thanks
grumpy in Az
:z1-2:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sounds like a bad ground in fuel gauge sensor and also the ignition switch /linkage in steering column
adam

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would agree and start with both grounds from the battery to frame and frame to engine mount. Remove, wire brush the cable ends then the frame and reattach. It's the most common cause of gremlins and easiest to eliminate first then proceed with more pinpointed locations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still have problems

Had starter checked out. Check starter wiring and cleaned electrical ends. Cleaned grounds,
Checked ign switch and tried a remote switch.
Still just a click?? Battery does have a full charge
And when I checked the Alt. is was putting out 14 volts.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
was it running with the started engaged ?
I've seen that before and it doesn't take long to toast the starter.....
not sayin that's what happened though....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would agree and start with both grounds from the battery to frame and frame to engine mount. Remove, wire brush the cable ends then the frame and reattach. It's the most common cause of gremlins and easiest to eliminate first then proceed with more pinpointed locations.
Makes a good point here, Grumpy. Check that ground wire from the battery to the frame at the frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still looking

Starter was not engaged when I tried to turn the car off. I had been driving it.
Grounding straps and cables were cleaned today but didn't help problem

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'll vote for the ground for the dash harness. At least for the gauges going stoopid. :duel:

Look also at the connector on the ignition switch, the bulkhead connector, (back of fuseblock thru the firewall), and don't forget the ground cable from the right motor mount stand to the block.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Based upon everything you've tried and your findings I would get a mulitmeter out and get under the car and check the voltage on the positive cable connected to the starter and verify full battery voltage. I would touch my black lead from the meter to the starter housing or bolt and the red lead to the positive post on the starter. If you don't get a reading then I would move the black lead to the frame and if you get a reading then you would know the ground cable from the frame to the block isn't getting a ground.

On the other hand if you get power or have already done this then I would be looking at the column mounted contact as mentioned earlier. Everyone of these that I saw go bad usually gave an indication and then finally did nothing at all. There is an adjustment via two screws that hold it in place that might work for a while to restore contact when you turn the key to the start position.

Another thing that would be easy enough to do is get a remote starter switch and get under the car and connect it to the starter and give it a try.

Hope you find it soon as I know these gremlins get annoying real fast when every logical thing you try doesn't work.

Good Luck :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is your starter covered in leaking oil from the motor? This will certainly screw-up your starter. The starter brushes get dirty from oil leaking into the starter housing from above, like a valve cover leak. Just a thought.:catfight:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed I think

Ignition switch was bad. When I got the engine started it wouldn't turn off. Pulled the switch and played with it and got it to turn off and on. Ordered new switch.
Gas gauge going above full, turn signals not working. All were a problem with a bad ground on the tail lights.
Hopefully this will take care of the PROBLEMS but won't know till the new switch comes in.
Will write back to confirm.
Thanks for all the help.
grumpy in Az

1 - 11 of 11 Posts