Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've got a 69 359/th400. Back in the 70's My buddy raced and when we rebuilt the engine we put in a vega convertor. Any opinions on this it been ther for years but the car is rarely driven hope to get it up and running again . Should I leave or think about upgrading

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
a Vega torque converter? I suppose the smaller diameter would increase its stall speed,If it works,leave it...tho,it may not stand up to a lot of horsepower for long... but there are so many good street/strip torque converters available with any rpm stall you want ..and very reasonable prices ...good luck, and welcome to SV

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
If you don't use your car strictly for drag racing the small Vega torque converter will slip and get VERY hot during normal driving. I would replace it with a stock converter to get your efficiency back. Rebuilt torque converters only cost about $100.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Honestly Its not been driven in a few years and then maybe just to town and back. I did add a trans cooler awhile back. right now I have rear bearing, ujoint, or rearend problems ??, and trying to get back into enjoying it after several summers of boating and vette neglect, The hard part is finding someone to work on it since i'm not mechanical. Yes I would like to upgrade to a better convertor not neccesarily stock but something a little more up to date tech wise

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
you have several options for good upgrades, B&M, Yank, TCI, Predator, all have good performance converters for street.. if you decide to tackle the current drivetrain problems, we ll be glad to walk you thru it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the offer I woudn't dare try the drive line issues . I was pretty much maxed out with replacing the fuel tank and lines, radiator and some other upgrades. I'm having a hard time finding somebody local to work on it. Like I said it no show car just a driver so i don't really want a full restro. but about every thing has been replaced, except parts of the drivetrain and It has well over 200,000 miles

·
Registered
523 Posts
We used to put a 350 convertor in front of a 400 just to get a little more stall speed. trick was to find a 350 convetor out of a really light car. But in those days, (besides being broke), there were not many choices.
Keep an eye on the heat- that'll kill a trans nearly as fast as broken parts.

The driveline problems you have are not that big of a deal as long as you don't step too far back and look at the overall picture. One step at a time grasshopper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep I just had a fresh tranny rebuild a few years back but but very little miles on it basicly just trying to get it drivable so I can chip away at all the little issues that happen from lack of use

·
Registered
462 Posts
"Strong but not Long" comes to mind with a Vega converter. We used to put them in our Pontiac's running 455 cu in. They would stall in the 4000-4500 range but would usually only last a few passes on the bottle and then Boom. Definetely not reliable and something I would not recommend.

I have the TCI Breakaway converter in a TCI Street Fighter trans and it's stalling right at 2600-2800 rpm which is perfect for frequent street use and the price wasn't too bad either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the info its been in the car since the 70's and I agree it needs to be up dated. When I find someone fairly local to dive into drive train issues I hope to get rid of it . I mean honestly its 40 years old. and I think an update is due. My college roomie use to drag race when we (he) built the engine It was pretty hot in the day but sure the technolgy has has been well passed up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a couple of bad pics . It hasn't been touched in a couple of years . As soon as it warms I'm going to start on the TLC program until I can find some help with the major issues

like I said not been touched I guess alot of spyders will be looking for new quarters

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
thats not bad for a car thats been sitting ...you have a very good starting point..you should see some of the other cars "before pics" its gonna make a very nice driver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts