Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any use or advice using a powerball to apply wax? Will this give a better finish at the end? I just got recommended to use one yesterday.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've never tried that application method so I have no comments . . .

Wax Application (Notes)

1. Because a dry cloth absorbs liquids, application with a dry cloth will result in the absorption of the wax as opposed to spreading it on the surface, use a damp applicator (similar process to pad priming)

2. A Microfiber towel made from polyester (the scrubbing and cleaning fibre), and polyamide (the absorbing and quick drying fibre) will adsorb (hold onto) liquids due to its inherent properties, their unique wedge shape of the cross-section of each of the fibres, which enables them to slice into coatings lifting and removing them from the surface (much like a miniature squeegee) as they are wiped across the surface.

3. The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to adsorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate liquids.

4. The correct method for the application of a wax and to obtain optimum results: is to apply it very thinly. Ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used.

5. Buffing - Swisswax 100% cotton micro fibre towel with a terrycloth weave, spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, were the loops are trimmed to produce a blunt fine nap, which is ideal for removing wax and for final surface buffing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mother's makes a Powerball for paint that is used to apply wax. It is yellow in color and the foam is different from the regular, red, Powerball. I have used it to put a quick coat of wax on my cars in between a full detail with my random orbital. It is basically just a wax applicator, but it does save your arms and applies a nice thin, even coat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those things are just shortcuts for the lazy! I would never use one on my paint.....but okay for chrome or polished wheel. There are no shortcuts to get and maintain a show quality paint surface. It takes elbow grease, good products and the proper technique.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have 2 of those. One I use for my exhaust and the other one I use for my wheels. I like it, but have not used it to apply wax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mother's makes a Powerball for paint that is used to apply wax. It is yellow in color and the foam is different from the regular, red, Powerball. I have used it to put a quick coat of wax on my cars in between a full detail with my random orbital. It is basically just a wax applicator, but it does save your arms and applies a nice thin, even coat.
The PowerBall 4Paint does make waxing or light polishing easier than if you're going to do it by hand. I find it does a more thorough application, and if I do have some light polishing to do, like removing light water deposits, they disappear easily with a cleaner wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts