Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of tinting my windows dark. I think it will look good with the black top. Do you think it will look too pimped out or sharp because I don't want to. :2ni19wj:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I am thinking of tinting my windows dark. I think it will look good with the black top. Do you think it will look too pimped out or sharp because I don't want to. :2ni19wj:
Just make sure that you check with the laws in your home state to make sure you don't go too dark if you do it. Some places use dark tint as an excuse to pull you over and some places carry meters that measure how much light the tint passes. Remember, the current economic situation has put a strain on the budgets of many municipalities and they are just looking for ways to generate revenue.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Find a good tinter! Good way is to call local hi end/exotic car dealer, and ask who they use.

The back glass has what is known as 'dot matrix'. It's raised bumps in the glass going from side to side near the top. This area is hard to do since the glass is not smooth, so the tint does not make a good contact. Some opt to spray paint this area, or worse sand the bumps down (great for resale) :doh:. I chose the black vinyl strip method, you can't see it at all.

http://www.tintdude.com/dot-matrix.html

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and how do see squat at NIGHT ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
My z has a light tint on it that the original owner installed. When I lived in Arizona I had my windows done 3% all the way around, BAD IDEA, great for the sun and heat, awful for night driving. So like they said here check local laws and make sure its tasteful!

:patriot:

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have black coupe. i bought it and the windows were allready tinted. i like it. u can click my gallery and check it out

·
Registered
134 Posts
:thumbsup3: You wont regret it
Make sure your installer knows about the Back Window Dot Matrix as described earlier
I used the vinyl as well

It truly helps with Hot Summer interior heat
Enjoy the Ride

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
you re correct, if the tint is too dark and you get to an intersection at night with cars approaching, you can t see diddly squat. you will have to lower window to see..go light if you go at all.
not being able to see at night is unsafe
sounds like a bad move to me

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I have a convertible so I don't have the dot matrix in the glass rear window. I think I am leaning toward doing it and have a place that does high end cars and I've seen his work and have referrals.

I have some scratches on my driver side upper window that were caused by my Dad's rings scraping it over the years before I bought it from him. The tinter told me the darker you go, you won't see them.

My concern is that a dark background would make them stick out even more.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have a convertible so I don't have the dot matrix in the glass rear window. I think I am leaning toward doing it and have a place that does high end cars and I've seen his work and have referrals.

I have some scratches on my driver side upper window that were caused by my Dad's rings scraping it over the years before I bought it from him. The tinter told me the darker you go, you won't see them.

My concern is that a dark background would make them stick out even more.
You can remove the scratches. :thumbsup3:
http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-for-deep-scratches-5658.html

·
Registered
518 Posts
The issue of tinting depends on your sensitivity to light. I see alot of posts about decreased nightime visiblity. I wouldn't want tint if I couldn't see thru it. Personally I am on the opposite side. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, so I prefer tinted windows (within the law) and I seldom go outside without sunglasses. My night vision however is great. I see like a vampire once the sun goes down, so the tint doesn't bother me. I like the look of it too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good to know thanks. I wonder if there is someone I could have do it, like a window place? I'm not sure I want to tackle this on my own and end up trashing my window.
My wife has the same habbit with scratching the glass with her ring or fking seatbelt :mad5: , so I've had a lot of experience with this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have all my cars tinted and I have never had any issues with seeing out of them at night.
There are verying degrees of tint and "LIMO" being the darkest.
On my most recent tint jobs, I went with a darker tint than in the past, still no issue with seeing out of the windows.
tint.jpg
Mike

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't see how darkening the windows would not cause issues.
animals do not have headlights

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't see how darkening the windows would not cause issues.
animals do not have headlights
Front windshields don't get tinted. Side windows (legally) should not be tinted very dark. Your vision of animals at night shouldn't be hindered. However, if you feel like it is hindered, don't do it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts