Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2006 coupe Z51 , live in No.VA need tires , don't know what I should buy any recommendations . Interstate travel with two lane drives in the country. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have to make a couple of decisions.

First, runflats or non runflats. The runflats are a little stiffer and maybe a little noisier, but they save you being stranded if you pick up a nail.

Second, Summer or All season. If you are going to be on the road when the temperature is much below 40 to 50 degrees I'd recomment the all season, as the summer tires tend to be very skittish when cold. Unless you are going to track the car you don't give up much warm weather traction for the extra security of the all seasons. (Disclaimer: I have a set of the Michelin A/S runflats and have been very satisfied with them after about 12,000 miles.)

Once you decide, start reading tire reviews, talk with other owners, and pick what seem best to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have to make a couple of decisions.

First, runflats or non runflats. The runflats are a little stiffer and maybe a little noisier, but they save you being stranded if you pick up a nail.

Second, Summer or All season. If you are going to be on the road when the temperature is much below 40 to 50 degrees I'd recomment the all season, as the summer tires tend to be very skittish when cold. Unless you are going to track the car you don't give up much warm weather traction for the extra security of the all seasons. (Disclaimer: I have a set of the Michelin A/S runflats and have been very satisfied with them after about 12,000 miles.)

Once you decide, start reading tire reviews, talk with other owners, and pick what seem best to you.
Good advice---
I went with the Michelin run flat all season ,I read all the reviews on "Tire Rack"on what was available .I did buy from my local dealer about $1300 out the door .I changed my alignment so I anticipate 35,000 mile or more.

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
There is also FIRESTONE FIREHAWK runflats.I hear they are good tires as well.I almost went with them for my 08 z51 but I'm doing a rear widebody so I ended up with the GOODYEAR supercars again.Seems like everytime I think I'm out,THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!:bump2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'm going to like this site and Love my Corvette.

Blue Eyed Girl
Welcome to the site! I too live in NoVa and I run the Nitto Invos, they are GREAT anytime there isnt anything white on the ground.

As an aside, what part of NoVa are you in? PM me if you'd like or if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
703 Posts
good survey info at Tire Rack

If you go to Tirerack.com, you can click on "surveys" and get some great ratings for many tire characteristics on each model tire. It can help you choose the truly best tire for what you use your car for. GREAT info and a lot of it at Tire Rack. Also, their tire and shipping costs are low and no sales tax. They also run some sales worth watching for.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
If you go to Tirerack.com, you can click on "surveys" and get some great ratings for many tire characteristics on each model tire. It can help you choose the truly best tire for what you use your car for. GREAT info and a lot of it at Tire Rack. Also, their tire and shipping costs are low and no sales tax. They also run some sales worth watching for.
good info for her !:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you opt for non-runflats I would also opt for a subscription to AAA.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nikki.
What do you get for a set of Michelin - Pilot Sport PS2 Runflats? I have a 2008 Base Corvette.
Here are the original Goodyear sizes - front: P245/40ZR18 and rear: P285/35ZR19

Send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Belated vote for Michelin PS2 ZP from me.....:welcometoourcl

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
yeah , my woman want's to know too......

1 - 20 of 39 Posts