Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally bought my dream car (sorta) 92 roadster. It has P275/40 R17 up front, and P315/35 R17 in rear. The rear tires and wheels are not a stock size, except for the ZR-1, which mine is not. My question is, does my vette pull hard one way or the other when I hit the part of highway that has "worn grooves" from years of traffic, because of the fat tires in the rear? or does anyone have any other ideas why this happens?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The wide tires in the front will catch the road grooves. If you go to a very narrow tire in the front you will find it helps a lot. The wide tires in the rear should not have that much of an affect.

Toby

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
There could be more to your problem than tire size. Shops that do alignments and suspension work will inspect your suspension for free(usually) in the hopes of getting your business.

I woud have the suspension inspected (especially since you have a problem and the car is new to you).

Improper alignment, worn wheel bearings, and worn suspension parts can all cause your type of problem. Tire size can be a player but is not usually the root cause of wheel wander................

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Many other types of cars have wider/bigger tires than his and my C4 has later model rims with big tires on it without wandering problems. However, I have had cars that had wandering problems which always manifest themselves when going over grooves and uneven road surfaces and the fix has always been to find out what is wrong mechanically and fix it. Often the problem is wheel bearing related. The centrifical force on the tire will keep it steady and even until something disturbs that force. It has little to do with tire size.
It should cost nothing to have the front end, wheel bearings and suspension inspected and that is what he should do first........

·
Registered
477 Posts
So why did the factory reduce front tire width after '93...................?
Obviously not to address the frequent complaints about tracking on road grooves........
This was 18 years ago when these cars had little age / miles. I've seen my 19 year old bushings that are dry and cracked so I hardly think that buying a narrow set of tires for the front is going to make the car handle like new with no wander... But I'm only guessing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Your logic is wrong, if the suspension needs rebuilding then fix it. If after the suspension is fixed there is still a problem with the tires/rims then address that....

Suspension/wheel bearing problems are a safety issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 93 conv. and have no noticable tire wearwith the plus size tires, have already worn out one set evenly. if you are having this sort of trouble the front end needs rebuilding to some extent. Where I live there are a lot of old roads with the grooves you are talking about and I have no trouble. I have replaced the front wheel bearing a while back because of a handling problem and had every thing checked throughly at the local dealership who has a great reputation. Has to be parts wear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Two other quick notes. When taking it to a shop to have it looked at, make sure they're an honest shop that won't just tell you things need replaced just so they can take your money whether anything needs replaced or not. Maybe even get a second opinion anyway. Secondly, I've heard thinner tires will get you better gas mileage because of less wind resistance or something but I don't know if it's true or not. I went from stock sawblades to C4 Grand Sport knock offs on mine with the same size tires as you described and I don't notice much difference. Not enough to matter anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when i bought mine it was stock with 8.5x16 all round. drove nice.
I put after market 9.5 and 11x17 and the front tracked all over the road.
we rebuilt the whole suspension and it does,nt track as bad.
when i drive with my strip 4.5 wheels it drives like a dream.
i tried another set of 8.5 on the front and it drives better(than the 9.5) with no tracking.
So the rumor is true that a C4 does,nt need a big tyre on the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts