Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear passenger tire after finding a nail in the outer tread when I took it out of winter storage. I only have 10,000 miles on my 06 C6 so I still have the origanal Goodyear Eagle F1 Run Flats. The tread on them is still good with over 50% of tread life left. My question is, should I replace it with the same run flat or should I change both back tires to a non run flat and put on a different tire like the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo which has a better rating than the Goodyear. All opinion's would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
depending how bad it is , and it's not recommended , I'd plug it
Been there , done that
your results may vary
I did a 3 week old non run-flat and eventually wore it out

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
well,lets see.If you had a non runflat tire on right now,you'd be stuck!!!Instead you can drive your car to where ever it's going to be fixed! I'd never go without RF's on my Vette.There are other RF'S out there,like firestone and Michellin you can use.To much can happen in to many places to take that chance.I'm not about to try and use that fix a flat stuff on the side of the road because I caught a nail on the NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE!!!:doh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Go out and buy two new Non Run Flats for the rear. Your tires are 5+ years old already and one has a puncture. If you want your car ready for anything you need good equipment on it. Not some sidewall plugged up old tire on a car that will do 190 MPH any day of the week. :rockon6rk:

ching... ching...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I had my right rear tire plugged at about 15,500 miles back on 3-17-2009 and the tires are now at 21K (I have two cars, a truck and a motorcycle and none of them gets very much mileage put on) I have had no problems with the plug that Goodyear put in. I would advise you to check with a reputable tire dealer and find out if the puncture is in a position that will allow repair. Done correctly the tire retains the speed rating.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
:iagree: Had my both of my rear tires plugs by Goodyear and it had no effect on the tire or speed rating. One plug was only a half of an inch from the sidewall. On a non runflat tire, they would not have plugged it but due to the reinforced sidewall, they plugged it and offered to replace the tire if the plug gave out before the tire wore out. Ultimately, the choice is yours, do what you feel comfortable with. :patriot:

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
Thats the problem with run flats, nail means no good. If you have the extra money switch to non run flats they make a softer ride and less road noise. If you really want a good look put on a pair of bridgestone potenzas, get the 305 30 19. the 305 make some big *** tires on the rear and look great from the back end.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
well,lets see.If you had a non runflat tire on right now,you'd be stuck!!!Instead you can drive your car to where ever it's going to be fixed! I'd never go without RF's on my Vette.There are other RF'S out there,like firestone and Michellin you can use.To much can happen in to many places to take that chance.I'm not about to try and use that fix a flat stuff on the side of the road because I caught a nail on the NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE!!!:doh:
thats not necessarily true..many of us have dumped the run-flats for the improved ride and handling characteristics of NRF tires, not to mention the cost savings.. we carry small 12v compressors and plug kits for emergency. the TPMS will tell you if a tire is deflating, pull over ,plug [tire doesn t need removing, most cases]and reinflate, and you re on your merry way.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
thats not necessarily true..many of us have dumped the run-flats for the improved ride and handling characteristics of NRF tires, not to mention the cost savings.. we carry small 12v compressors and plug kits for emergency. the TPMS will tell you if a tire is deflating, pull over ,plug [tire doesn t need removing, most cases]and reinflate, and you re on your merry way.
been there , done that
over a million miles over many many years w/o any unraveling some speak of.
never had any issues with any plug that I installed

sidenote
someone here needs a plug but not in his tire

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
been there , done that
over a million miles over many many years w/o any unraveling some speak of.
never had any issues with any plug that I installed

sidenote
someone here needs a plug but not in his tire
Same here! Many tires with no issues at all. Just because the guy who wants to sell more tires says it will "unravel", don t mean it will. But, to each his own. use what you like, I like the better ride!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Once you plug a tire you have completely lost your speed rating.
If proper materials and procedures are used, that is not true. Quoting from the Goodyear EMT warranty pamphlet that came with my car; "Like any other Goodyear speed-rated high performance tire, the Goodyear EMT tire may be repaired to correct a nail-hole puncture in the tread, but proper materials and procedures must be used." When I had my Goodyear EMT tire repaired, I asked the Goodyear person who wrote up the repair order if the repair would affect the speed rating of the tire and he said the speed rating would remain the same.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've plugged my runflats as well. Drove on them till the tread wore out. Never had any problems whatsoever.
I run non runflats now. I like em a lot better. I carry a plug kit and compressor too.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
If proper materials and procedures are used, that is not true. Quoting from the Goodyear EMT warranty pamphlet that came with my car; "Like any other Goodyear speed-rated high performance tire, the Goodyear EMT tire may be repaired to correct a nail-hole puncture in the tread, but proper materials and procedures must be used." When I had my Goodyear EMT tire repaired, I asked the Goodyear person who wrote up the repair order if the repair would affect the speed rating of the tire and he said the speed rating would remain the same.
absolutely true.. like I said, if they want to sell you tires, they will tell you anything.. Remember the Jiffy-Lube commercials that said " Change your oil every 2500 miles"? How many still fall for that sales gimmick?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
[email protected] is online now Report Post Send a Private Message
NOT IN THIS LIFETIME.:bump2:I'll drive to the closest shop who can handle the Vette tires and let them do it while I SIP MY COFFEE!:thumbsup3:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Firestone agreed with you as says the nail breaks the steel cords and at high speeds will unraven internally
maybe they were thinking of the Self-Peeling Firestone Steel Radials on the Explorers, a few years back..You didn t need a nail for them to unravel. Just drive 55mph, the whole tread would peel off.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I plugged my tire in the 05 1 week into ownership and used the tires for 2 years at speeds well in excess of the known boundries of the universe!!!:eek2:

:bump2: Would you beleive in excess of 100 mph!!:coffeetime:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
maybe they were thinking of the Self-Peeling Firestone Steel Radials on the Explorers, a few years back..You didn t need a nail for them to unravel. Just drive 55mph, the whole tread would peel off.
I had a set of them on my Cordoba with the "fine Corinthian leather." Yes, the tread does peel off. It was Sunday, no service stations between where the tread came off and home. 20 miles at no more than 20 miles per hour, riding on the bladder of the tire and praying that I wouldn't hit a sharp rock. My favorite mechanic nearly fell on his head when I told him how far I had come and he saw what was left of the tire.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts