Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who put a lot of miles on their C3's with TH350 transmissions a swap to a TH700R4 is very beneficial as it'll reduce your cruising rpms down to 1500-1800 rpm and greatly extend your engine's life as well as reducing the interior's noise level.

Fishslayer installed one in his '81 about 4 years ago and I installed one about a year later when I decided to make my big block '71 my daily driver. The swap is pretty easy as it only involves shortening the driveshaft, fabricating an extended rear mount, and adding a stud to your carburetor's bellcrank to control the TV cable. All of the hardware needed can be easily made or can be bought from a number of different vendors.

For more information about TH700R4 swaps contact Fishslayer or myself and we'll be more than happy to help you. Fishslayer bought his in a kit form that included everything needed and I bought mine from a wrecking yard, did the overhaul, then fabricated my own parts. So between the two of us we know all the ins-and-outs of a TH700R4 swap.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
The reason my swap ended up costing almost as much as yours was because I bought my overhaul and performance parts from PATC then later found out I could have bought everything from my local transmission parts supply house for about 1/2 the cost.
that, and I got a great deal on the kit from my buddies at Monster ... with the conversion kit,it is much easier ... I had the whole transplant completed , including shifter detent/indicator mods, and crossmember mods, in one day and was driving again ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts