Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I had always used 195 degree thermostats because they provided a quick warmup and heater operation. Several years ago I experimented with a 180 degree thermostat but found my warmup time was a lot longer, my heater wasn't nearly as effective, and my fuel mileage wasn't as good. Two years ago I installed a 205 degree thermostat and my average fuel mileage instantly increased by 21%.

I have always kept a close tab on my fuel mileage. At every fill up I reset my trip meter and then see how far I can go from F to E (about 10 gallons). When I was using a 195 degree thermostat I always averaged 95 miles (plus or minus) but the moment I installed a 205 degree thermostat I began getting 120 miles or 25 more miles per fill up.

With the 205 degree thermostat the warmup time is a LOT quicker than it was with a 195 degree thermostat and as my 454" often ran at 200 to 205 degrees during the hottest summer days with the A/C on I felt the increased fuel mileage alone justified its use.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the past I had always used 195 degree thermostats because they provided a quick warmup and heater operation. Several years ago I experimented with a 180 degree thermostat but found my warmup time was a lot longer, my heater wasn't nearly as effective, and my fuel mileage wasn't as good. Two years ago I installed a 205 degree thermostat and my average fuel mileage instantly increased by 21%.

I have always kept a close tab on my fuel mileage. At every fill up I reset my trip meter and then see how far I can go from F to E (about 10 gallons). When I was using a 195 degree thermostat I always averaged 95 miles (plus or minus) but the moment I installed a 205 degree thermostat I began getting 120 miles or 25 more miles per fill up.

With the 205 degree thermostat the warmup time is a LOT quicker than it was with a 195 degree thermostat and as my 454" often ran at 200 to 205 degrees during the hottest summer days with the A/C on I felt the increased fuel mileage alone justified its use.
As my 454" often hits 205 to 210 degrees on hot summer days with my A/C on I thought "what the heck, why not run a hotter thermostat all year"? The best part of it was my fuel mileage increased 21% the moment I installed it. When I got my '71 with its 365 hp 454" engine, TH400 transmission, and 3.08 gears it got 8 mpg. After carefully selecting performance parts for my engine, installing a TH700R4 transmission, and 3.70 gears it gets 14 mpg; a whopping 75% increase.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As my 454" often hits 205 to 210 degrees on hot summer days with my A/C on I thought "what the heck, why not run a hotter thermostat all year"? The best part of it was my fuel mileage increased 21% the moment I installed it. When I got my '71 with its 365 hp 454" engine, TH400 transmission, and 3.08 gears it got 8 mpg. After carefully selecting performance parts for my engine, installing a TH700R4 transmission, and 3.70 gears it gets 14 mpg; a whopping 75% increase.
I zero my trip meter at every fill up then see how far I can go from "F" to "E". For years I averaged 95 miles but the moment I installed a 205 degree thermostat I began seeing 120 miles. That was 2 years ago and I'm still seeing 120 miles so it appears engine temperature has a LOT to do with how efficient the engine is. Many years ago in Hot Rod magazine I read an article about a guy running propane and a 300 degree temperature. I don't remember what the guy was trying to prove but I do remember his speaking about the future of ceramic blocks and heads; something the manufacturers have been experimenting with since the 1970's..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts