Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here we are @ 104°F right now. My engine temp grows to 230°, is this OK or this is an overheating problem?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Considering its 104 where you are......230 isnt too bad....it was aboout 75 here today and in stop & go/slow traffic i got up to 225......so i think youre ok.....just make sure to keep that antifreeze fresh.......if you get temps like 104 very often, I think I would change mine every year.....maybe consider an additive called 40 below. Where the heck are you located anyway.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Ok, here we are @ 104°F right now. My engine temp grows to 230°, is this OK or this is an overheating problem?

A temperature of 230 degrees is normal as the C4's use such a small radiator. All three of my C3's (two of them are 454's) have the big 4-tube radiators and they seldom exceed 205 degrees even on 100+ degree days. It's a good idea to use soluble oil in the cooling system to keep everything corrosion free.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
230 is fine.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Chevy says that running that hot is normal and uses a fan switch that does not come on until arround 220'. That temp is to high for my personal comfort level though and it can be changed by using a low temerature fan switch to turn the fan on at 200' which should keep your temp below 200' if the rest of your cooling system is in good shape. Corvette America has the 200' temp switch and also another one that comes on at 177' which I think is to low for the EFI system to function effectively.........If you do change fan switches make sure that your
T stat matches the fan switch or they will be fighting each other........My 85 runs at 190-200' no matter what the ambient temp.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Chevy says that running that hot is normal and uses a fan switch that does not come on until arround 220'. That temp is to high for my personal comfort level though and it can be changed by using a low temerature fan switch to turn the fan on at 200' which should keep your temp below 200' if the rest of your cooling system is in good shape. Corvette America has the 200' temp switch and also another one that comes on at 177' which I think is to low for the EFI system to function effectively.........If you do change fan switches make sure that your
T stat matches the fan switch or they will be fighting each other........My 85 runs at 190-200' no matter what the ambient temp.
I did something similar only i installed a manual fan switch i can turn on and off anytime. As long as my car is moving and getting an air flow it will stay at 195. It's when your in heavy stop and go the temp will rise.

·
Registered
408 Posts
a temperature of 230 degrees is normal as the c4's use such a small radiator. All three of my c3's (two of them are 454's) have the big 4-tube radiators and they seldom exceed 205 degrees even on 100+ degree days. It's a good idea to use soluble oil in the cooling system to keep everything corrosion free.
what is soluble oil and where do i get it???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where in HELL do you live???( Just kidding }
What year is your car?
With C-4s, The engine fans only kick on at 230
1990 L98, I did a carb convertion. My set up: 355ci, 1.6roller rockers, headers, no cats, edelbrock performer intake, 670cfm Holley street avenger, Comp cam XR270HR

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
what is soluble oil and where do i get it???

Most every auto parts store carries it. It is the exact same oil that is mixed with water and used to cool high-speed cutting tools used in machine shops. About $10 a gallon for Sta-Lube brand if I recall. Soluble oil prevents the formation of the hard deposits that cling to the discharge ends of the tubes and will slowly dissolve any deposits that have already accumulated. Properly mixed it will turn green antifreeze to an off-white color. When I worked with heavy equipment back in the 70's and 80's we used it in all of our vehicles. Even after many years of usage the radiators remained sparkling clean inside with not a bit of hard deposit build-up.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
230 deg is fine on a hot day in stop and go traffic, Fans don't turn on in tell 226 deg. At highway speeds it should cool down quickly and stay around 200 deg.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most every auto parts store carries it. It is the exact same oil that is mixed with water and used to cool high-speed cutting tools used in machine shops. About $10 a gallon for Sta-Lube brand if I recall. Soluble oil prevents the formation of the hard deposits that cling to the discharge ends of the tubes and will slowly dissolve any deposits that have already accumulated. Properly mixed it will turn green antifreeze to an off-white color. When I worked with heavy equipment back in the 70's and 80's we used it in all of our vehicles. Even after many years of usage the radiators remained sparkling clean inside with not a bit of hard deposit build-up.
OK......anyone else know anyting about this?? I think I am going to get some. So what do I ask for??? Just ask for soluble oil or what???

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
OK......anyone else know anyting about this?? I think I am going to get some. So what do I ask for??? Just ask for soluble oil or what???

My local auto parts store has always carried the Sta-Lube brand so that's what I use. It is mixed in the ratio of one ounce per 2 quarts of coolant and that ratio will turn your green antifreeze into a slightly milky white color. It will not lower your operating temperature as it's not designed to do that. It merely prevents the build-up of the hard deposits that form on the discharge ends of the radiator tubes. Those deposits are the result of the chemical reaction between lead and antifreeze in a hot environment. Back when cars had large capacity radiators the build-up was very small as the temperatures seldom exceeded 190-200 degrees. But as the temperatures have risen over the years so has the rate of hard deposit build-up. A commercial radiator shop clued me into the usage of soluble oil many years ago and I have used it ever since. I pulled both of the tanks off my '82's radiator last year to repair some cracks and found my core was still spotless after being run since 1990.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts