Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents -

Newbie here to the forum. Purchased my first Corvette..... a C3 over the weekend. I had been holding out to find a 68-72 and lucked out (or I thought) and found a 69'.
I checked the car out and had did some homework prior to purchasing a vette and knew to check the obvious areas for rust on the frame. When I crawled under the frame I noticed the area in front of the rear wheels had rust and needed attention but from researching on various websites it appeared that it could be fixed by an experienced frame guy even with the body still on the car. I looked this over twice on both sides but apparently didn't look close enough. Once I got the car home and got it up in the air where I could get completely under it the rust on the frame is much worse than I originally thought. The rust has spread to the frame section that connects the two rails as well which I would have never been able to see until I got it in the air.

Looks like I screwed myself bigtime and I'm thinking of jumping off the ledge. Im just sick about it. Was looking for a mild restoration but had no intentions of a frame rebuild or frame replacement. Can this stuff be fixed by an experienced frame guy? I have a neighbor that builds hot rods full time for a living including custom tube frames and I will have him look at it some time this week if I haven't jumped off the ledge already.

Not sure I'm capable of a body off restoration...I have only done mild restoration work. Seems like a deep job that I could get lost in.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.......thanks for the response guys.

I'm reading where a lot of guys have made repairs with the body still on the car as long as you can find an experienced welder which I have access to and will try to talk to him later this week.

Have any of you had your frame patched / repaired with the body still on the car?

Thanks!!

· Registered
232 Posts
You should pull the inside kick panels and check body mount #2 areas on both sides, then pull the rear tires and remove the body mount #3 access panels located in the forward rear wheel wells and inspect those areas. Also, remove the interior windshield frame trim and inspect the windshield frame for rot. If you also have problems in these areas you will have to decide at that point if it is worth the full blown frame off restoration that it will need to make it right, or clean it up and put it up for sale. Might help if you post some pictures of the areas of concern, so we could give you a better idea of the work you are looking at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.