Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion? What all is involved, any pics or links? Thanks!:thumbsup3:

it's just a straight foreword swap from what I've read. You'd have to get your drive shaft shortened a bit and you'd have to alter your throwout arm. I don't know what size of yoke it uses on the rear but I'm sure your drive shaft people can get you set up with whatever you need.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
a couple people have..but, I think you will find that the 6 th gear [.6 overdrive] is useless in a heavier C3 with small rear gears and a powerband not suited for it..

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have been looking at this upgrade as well. A mechanic friend of mine told me to skip the T-56 and stick with a T-5. He said the T-56 would rub the tranny tunnel unless it was modified.

Now if I could just find time to work on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most of the guy's that have made this conversion did it with an LS-1 swap.A few have put it behind their old motors.I can't remember who though.Im gettin "Oldtimers" and my memory leaves me.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Six Speed Transmission

a couple people have..but, I think you will find that the 6 th gear [.6 overdrive] is useless in a heavier C3 with small rear gears and a powerband not suited for it..

Assuming he has 3.08's in the rear the 6th gear would yield about 1200 rpm at 60 mph. I think a 350" engine would pull it but it would definitely be a dog. Almost too tall. But 5th gear would be perfectly usable as that's only a 30% reduction. Now if he were running 3.73's or 3.90's in the rear it would be pretty slick. I'd say if the transmission was cheap enough I'd give it a go and see how well it works out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts