Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys im new here and i have a c4 96 vette im joel, now heres one of the issues on mmy caf someone had tried to steal it and had left the column broken on the left side, it would turn on but to turn it off you needed to push woth your finger a thimg that would move forward and shut it off , now whem i go to turn it on the switch goes forward but nothimg i looked in the hole the thieves left on thd column and i can see no movement i tried pulling back theclittle metal "thing" that pulls back and i get all my lighghts on in dash like if my key was forward but i can see my rpm needele jump slightly and that it no ignition amy ideas? please help im sorrry if i didnt lookk thru the forum first but need to know now car is parked in a questionable location thanks guys

· Registered
2,849 Posts
96 vette ..... i looked in the hole the thieves left on the column
:doh:
Must be amateurs not to know your year has a security system ; Google VATS

column broken on the left side,
Flatbed the car home , is not going to be a 10 min fix

Most likely the crooks have damaged the contacts inside the key barrel that reads the resistor pellet on your key when they tried to force the lock.
If the computer doesn't read that the the correct key is being used , it prevents the car being started and driven off which is exactly what it did.
You will either have to replace the damaged parts where the key goes or do one of the work arrounds that removes the security system but that means the thieves
could have driven off in your car by punching the Ign switch out which they tried to do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.