Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh guys I have 91 coupe L-98 with 70000 mi any advantage to switchin over to mobil-1 oil ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
yeah, your motor will last longer,it resists extreme temps much better, it will stay much cleaner internally, you can go twice the miles between changes, and probably gain a little mpg. less friction, less wear. better lubrication at start up in cold weather or hot traffic conditions.. did I mention your motor will last longer!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
there is no downside

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an '87 L98 that I switched to Mobile-1 Synthetic at 60,000 miles. It has 92,000 miles now and runs like a champ! I say go for it!

Mike

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Been using mobil 1 since I got my '92 and no problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use Mobil-1 in the roadrace bikes, the Harley, the Corvette and both trucks, absolutely nothing better in my opinion.
I tried different brands of synthetics for the race bike, only Motul and Torco were comperable, Mobil-1 added 2 hp on the dino!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Switch

I use Mobil-1 in the roadrace bikes, the Harley, the Corvette and both trucks, absolutely nothing better in my opinion.
I tried different brands of synthetics for the race bike, only Motul and Torco were comperable, Mobil-1 added 2 hp on the dino!
There R 2 Dyno's in Naples & They Have Cobwebs on them ...:doh:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
we use a special redline oil that adds 14 hp to a small block w/o any other changes

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
no , we get it from an engine builder
he won't even tell us a thing except it's redline.
pours like water but the engines last and last

·
Registered
173 Posts
There R 2 Dyno's in Naples & They Have Cobwebs on them ...:doh:
Dino on friday for verification of hp for a Moto ST 8 hr race at Daytona, drained Castrol non synthetic out and put Mobil-1 MX-4T in, took it back to the shop Sat, hp was 103.5 on Fri, 105.7 on Sat, so more than 2 hp just from going synthetic. As stated, tried Motul and Torco also, they both added 1.5 hp each.
VP race fuel has added 4+ hp, it's $14 per gal.
I race with Championship Cup Series, there's always a dino at the track to make sure no one is cheating with hp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been using CASTROL High mileage for the last 5 yrs. I don't drive in winter and she's stored indoors. I've had nothing but good starts and great mileage. CASTROL and MOBIL1 use the same formula......research it:doh:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I've been using CASTROL High mileage for the last 5 yrs. I don't drive in winter and she's stored indoors. I've had nothing but good starts and great mileage. CASTROL and MOBIL1 use the same formula......research it:doh:
actually they don t..in fact Mobil One sued Castrol for claiming Syntec was fully synthetic when it really was not.... " Then came the big Mobil 1 vs Castrol lawsuit. Mobil 1 contended that Castrol was using false advertising. Castrol had changed there formulation on their Full Synthetic oil. It NO longer was made from group 4 synthetic base stocks but was indeed made from group 3 base stock which is a conventional crude base stock, then severely hydro cracked and refined. group 3 is much higher quality than group 2 oils. Well it made it all the way to the supreme court were they ruled that oils made with group 3 base stocks are indeed synthetic because of the extreme amount of refinement, it isn't anything naturally occurring anymore. So Castrol was allowed to continue marketing the oil as fully synthetic. After this lawsuit a precedence was set for the definition of synthetic oil, one by one manufacturers started reformulating their synthetic motor oils from group 4's to group 3's , since group 3 is much cheaper to use ".................... Here is a list of the only Oils that are true full synthetic (groups 4 or 5).
Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal purple, Redline, some Schaffers, some Motul, Valvoline synpower is a blend of goup 3 and 4, Castrol makes (1) full synthetic it is 0w-30

1 - 20 of 21 Posts