Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks -
I'm new to the forum, and I have a question (as if the title didn't get the point across). I have a 1975 Stingray that I've owned for a while, but really don't take out...ever (it's been a labor of love slowly being rebuilt). Last summer, I pulled it out and decided to take it to the corner store. It started fine, and ran fine for about 8 miles. One the return trip, as I hit the gas, and it sounded (as a friend put it "like its backfiring out the carb"). It loses power, but continues to run, with a light foot on the peddle. It kinda sounds like if you were to cup your hands together and clap, and that sound is coming right out the carb. Before I start replacing everything (which I can and will eventually do), I figured I would run it past everyone who's willing to put up with my question. Thanks in advance for any assistance, and if it takes me a while to re-respond, it's because this is my first thread - Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great start, thanks. I know at this point it could be anything, and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty (My last toy was an 88 Wrangler, suffice to say I had to replace more or less everything at one point or another on it...)

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Hey Folks -
I'm new to the forum, and I have a question (as if the title didn't get the point across). I have a 1975 Stingray that I've owned for a while, but really don't take out...ever (it's been a labor of love slowly being rebuilt). Last summer, I pulled it out and decided to take it to the corner store. It started fine, and ran fine for about 8 miles. One the return trip, as I hit the gas, and it sounded (as a friend put it "like its backfiring out the carb"). It loses power, but continues to run, with a light foot on the peddle. It kinda sounds like if you were to cup your hands together and clap, and that sound is coming right out the carb. Before I start replacing everything (which I can and will eventually do), I figured I would run it past everyone who's willing to put up with my question. Thanks in advance for any assistance, and if it takes me a while to re-respond, it's because this is my first thread - Chris

If you have a decent set of tools and a timing light you should start by verifying the ignition timing is set right then go from there. I'll be more than happy to help you get it running good but I need to know what your mechanical abilities are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a decent set of tools and a timing light you should start by verifying the ignition timing is set right then go from there. I'll be more than happy to help you get it running good but I need to know what your mechanical abilities are.
Great Thanks. I do own a timing light, and I have a decent set of tools. I swapped the engine out of my old Jeep a few years back if that gives you a gauge as to ability, as well as any other parts you can think of (except tranny, that'll remain a mystery to me for now). I think I just get a little antsy about this car, and don't want to tear apart anything I may not need to...I'm slowly working my way through it now, I'm in the process of swapping shocks and springs on this, also replaced front sway bar, and installed a rear sway bar (upgraded to a Mid-America "sport suspension package"). Recently pulled front and rear bumpers off and replaced with fiberglass. A few years back I swapped out brake pads, calibers and rotors and rubber lines to stainless. Then of course the obvious little stuff I did a year or so ago (plugs, wire, cap, rotor). Also have removed most of the trim and badging in prep for an eventual paint job.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Great Thanks. I do own a timing light, and I have a decent set of tools. I swapped the engine out of my old Jeep a few years back if that gives you a gauge as to ability, as well as any other parts you can think of (except tranny, that'll remain a mystery to me for now). I think I just get a little antsy about this car, and don't want to tear apart anything I may not need to...I'm slowly working my way through it now, I'm in the process of swapping shocks and springs on this, also replaced front sway bar, and installed a rear sway bar (upgraded to a Mid-America "sport suspension package"). Recently pulled front and rear bumpers off and replaced with fiberglass. A few years back I swapped out brake pads, calibers and rotors and rubber lines to stainless. Then of course the obvious little stuff I did a year or so ago (plugs, wire, cap, rotor). Also have removed most of the trim and badging in prep for an eventual paint job.

Okay, then start by verifying the timing is set to 6 degrees BTDC with the vacuum advance disconnected. If it checks out okay make sure the little tiny pleated paper fuel filter in the carburetor's inlet isn't plugged and any other fuel filters there may be in the line. As the filter in the carburetor is so small they plug very easily so you'd be ahead to simply replace it as they're dirt cheap and readily available.

With the carburetor's inlet line disconnected it should deliver 1-1/2 pints of gasoline in 30 seconds of cranking (just connect a 3/8" hose to the line and pump it into a container with measuring marks on it).

So check the timing and fuel delivery and then get back to us for further instructions.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes popping thru the carb is usually a worn exhaust lobe on the camshaft. Hopefully though it could just be a loose rocker arm. :toocrazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts