Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body experts out there? When I bought my '73 20 yrs ago it was black, but now the paint is cracking and chipping so I've decided to repaint. Same color but in BC/CC this time. I've started stripping using the razor blade method, I find using a heat gun on low softens the paint and comes off much easier, (along with 3 or 4 coats of primer) but I have found surprises. It looks like the car was at one time in a rearend accident and fiberglass work has been done. The razor blade has godged some of the body filler. Should I dig out all that body filler and completely rework it, or can I fill in the godges and sand smooth? It looks like someone used a razor blade to to scrape paint before, because I have also found godges in the original fiberglass.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
you do not need to remove all the old filler unless it is cracking..just rough up the area and recoat the area.. prep for paint.. if a chemical stripper is used, all body filler should be removed and reworked. When you paint, try to get at least 3-4 coats of clearcoat.. it gives you extra protection when sanding and buffing. you ll get more depth on the black,and the job will last longer .

·
Registered
79 Posts
X2 I agree with Fish, if its good and not cracking or seperating, it has a good bond and just touch up as required.

I'll be starting my new to me 70 shortly. It has major aligator skin front and rear and will need to be stripped down to the gel coat and built up from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was hoping that tearing all that out would not be necessary. What is there, is solid and firm. I didn't use any chemical stippers on it. There is a couple places where I have found holes in the fiberglass due to repair work pulling out.
I've seen no trace of gel coat on mine. I was told that they only used a gel coat in the early years.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
72 and older have a gelcoat over fibreglas...73 and later are a different process call SMC or sheet molded compound panels just rough up areas first

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the primer cover minor scratches in the fiberglass? I have noticed a few, apparently from the razor blade. I can barely feel them with my fingernail.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nope , smoother is better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts