Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a question. If your car has a custom paint job but everything else is original, is your car considered stock or customized/modified? I can't seem to get the "correct" answer here. I had a little issue at a car show yesterday, and I need to know the correct answer to this question for future shows.
Thanks for your help.
Cat =^..^=

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Cat, I m no expert on it, but I believe it depends on what class you are showing in. usually Points deduction for any and all modifications in Stock Class but not in Modified Class which is for any car that has anything not available when it was built.. and I believe custom paint is in that category

· Registered
910 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Fish and Stingray for your knowledge on this subject. This is why I asked the question in the first place. Sorry it’s so long, but I have to explain it thoroughly.

Since 2010 I have been showing my car at a particular show, which I love. I was instructed to show my car “stock” and fill out the “stock” side of the form, which I did. I have done this for the past three years. The same judge judged my car all three years and deemed it first place, deservedly so, I believe. This year I showed my car stock, as usual, and was tagged for a second place trophy. When I saw the yellow sticker it felt like a punch in the stomach. I was baffled. I decided to do something about it and at least ask why, which you are allowed to do. So before trophies were officially issued, we asked the judge why my car dropped from first place to second place when nothing at all had changed about my car. In fact, I worked so hard detailing my car before the show that it looked better than ever. The judge said that I lost “a lot of points” because my color was not a factory color. We told him that I had been showing my car for the past three years as “stock” (as instructed) with this same custom color and he still always placed me first. We then asked him if I should have filled out the other side of the form (customized/modified) and if that would have made a difference. I also wanted to know the answer to this question for future shows because, according to what he said, if I show my car as “stock” with the custom paint job I will never be eligible for first place. (!) I guess the judge saw my point, so he then decided to re-judge my car and ultimately deemed it first place. I thanked him for his re-consideration and he gave me a hug and everything was okay. He was really nice about it, but I still felt really bad.

Now if the judge would have cited things wrong with my car, I would have taken it as a lesson, accepted my second-place status, and worked to fix whatever was wrong so that I would be up to par for the next show. But the judge said that there was nothing wrong with my car and that it was “beautiful”. The custom paint was the only issue.

Even though I ultimately got a first-place trophy, which I feel was justified and I guess the judge did , too, or he would not have reconsidered and re-judged my car, the whole experience was upsetting for me. This judge usually takes his time and is complimentary and nice when judging my car. But this year when he judged my car he spent all of thirty seconds on it (probably even less than that). I felt cheated. All of that work for a cursory half a minute look over? To make matters worse, some idiot started asking the judge questions about how the judging works while he was supposed to be judging my car, so I don’t know if this distraction worked against me. Then the judge didn’t even open the doors, he didn’t really look at the engine, and he didn’t look at how nicely I presented my car. He said thank you and walked away. I felt disappointed because I worked so hard. I felt like my car deserved better consideration. Bad experience. Bad taste in my mouth. Sad. :(

· Registered
910 Posts
Relax and don't sweat the little things.

I had a somewhat similar situation with my '66 back in NY. I showed the car and always got 1st or 2nd in any car show, particularly this club's shows where I always got 1st. This one time, the judge who I knew and who knew me and the car from me having shown the car before, didn't even bother asking to see the convertible top- "Oh, I know this car", he said. So with that, I left it retracted, and the show went on.

I left the show with 2nd! Reason? There was a newcomer to the show who the club heads were trying to swoon to join their club - BTW, I never joined the club. So, guess who got the 1st place win?

Would you believe the club Pres actually had the audacity to ask me if I minded that the 1st place went to the new guy and for the reason I just mentioned? After the trophies were awarded? I just never participated in their shows again. A $5 trophy ain't worth aggravation. :thumbsup3:

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Perhaps he didn t look hard at it was because he remembered it from previous shows ? I did not know you had custom paint, but if you do, I think the judge was probably correct in his original ruling.. Points should be deducted for anything but Factory colors.. But, that's why they have judges, to make those calls. Glad he reconsidered, Congrats on the win..

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts

I had a somewhat similar situation with my '66 back in NY. I showed the car and always got 1st or 2nd in any car show, particularly this club's shows where I always got 1st. This one time, the judge who I knew and who knew me and the car from me having shown the car before, didn't even bother asking to see the convertible top- "Oh, I know this car", he said. So with that, I left it retracted, and the show went on.

I left the show with 2nd! Reason? There was a newcomer to the show who the club heads were trying to swoon to join their club - BTW, I never joined the club. So, guess who got the 1st place win?

Would you believe the club Pres actually had the audacity to ask me if I minded that the 1st place went to the new guy and for the reason I just mentioned? After the trophies were awarded? I just never participated in their shows again. A $5 trophy ain't worth aggravation. :thumbsup3:
yeah, politics get involved in the small shows. Its unfair, cars should be judged on merit, not on any side issues

· Registered
217 Posts
if its any consolation, i have a 66 hemi charger in a show about 2 years before the car was painted , i was up for first place in a show i was given second place because my paint was "too nice" i pointed out that it was the factory original paint. it made no difference to that moron ,his brother in law got first:happy0045:

· Registered
910 Posts
I don't have the time to go to too many shows, but the ones I DO go to must have the practice of no member's cars in the judging.

I've been let down in the past by assholes in these car shows - car shows that are supposed to be fun and void of this crap. :soapbox:

If I'm going to spend $15 - $20 on a registration fee for the chance to get a $2 trophy, then by-golly, they better shoot straight.

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I can't believe that happened. I would have been furious! I couldn't deal with that kind of injustice. I guess all kinds of nonsense goes on at these shows. You handled it well, though. I will try to follow your advice and not take it so seriously in the future. And I just might not show my car at that show anymore. Thanks, Stingray.

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps he didn t look hard at it was because he remembered it from previous shows ? I did not know you had custom paint, but if you do, I think the judge was probably correct in his original ruling.. Points should be deducted for anything but Factory colors.. But, that's why they have judges, to make those calls. Glad he reconsidered, Congrats on the win..
I just don't know why I was told to show it stock. I guess if I decide to show it again I have to go customized/modified, right? Thanks, Fish. :)

· Registered
5,591 Posts
if you need a trophy , just go buy one

· Registered
533 Posts
:iagree: .....also, who cares what anyone else thinks? its *YOUR* car, so as long as *YOU* like it, then [email protected] anyone elses opinion. if owning a vette is all about getting trophys at car shows because some other "qualified expert" deems your car as a first,second,or 12th place finisher, then youre in the hobby for the wrong reasons. my vette is like 6 different colors. missing inner door panels. non-numbers matching motor and trans. fatty and skinny centerlines. gnarly thrashed out carpet. but *I* like it.....and i drive that badboy every single day at least once, even if its only to the 7-11 around the corner and back.....:thumbsup:

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:iagree: .....also, who cares what anyone else thinks? its *YOUR* car, so as long as *YOU* like it, then [email protected] anyone elses opinion. if owning a vette is all about getting trophys at car shows because some other "qualified expert" deems your car as a first,second,or 12th place finisher, then youre in the hobby for the wrong reasons. my vette is like 6 different colors. missing inner door panels. non-numbers matching motor and trans. fatty and skinny centerlines. gnarly thrashed out carpet. but *I* like it.....and i drive that badboy every single day at least once, even if its only to the 7-11 around the corner and back.....:thumbsup:
You are so right, fatguyzinc. I love what you wrote. Thanks for putting all of this in perspective for me. I love my car, and I love my color! Who cares what anybody else thinks. Everybody always has an opinion anyway, and if you listen to all of them you’ll go crazy. I always wanted a Vette because I love Vettes. I never wanted a “show car”, but I kind of fell into this craze. No more, though. You know, when I really think about it, the happiest times I have are when it’s just me and my car out driving or when I am working on it in the garage. I actually prefer working on my car or washing it to anything else. You put a big smile on my face and made my day. [email protected] them all and their opinions! ;) I’m gong to let your words be the last words on this issue and always keep them in mind. Thank you!
Cat =^..^=
PS Your car sounds awesome and so do you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.