Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 with 6,000 miles on it will start right up after sitting , if I let it idle 3-4 min it shuts off ,
Try to restart it and it burps 1 or 2 times then just keeps turning over with nothing . If I start it and drive it , it will run for hrs , soon as I shut it off no start till it sits again . I had it tested and was told it had two bad injectors so I replaced all of them .
and the eng coil as well . Still have problem . Good Fuel presure at all times .

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
My 89 with 6,000 miles on it will start right up after sitting , if I let it idle 3-4 min it shuts off ,
Try to restart it and it burps 1 or 2 times then just keeps turning over with nothing . If I start it and drive it , it will run for hrs , soon as I shut it off no start till it sits again . I had it tested and was told it had two bad injectors so I replaced all of them .
and the eng coil as well . Still have problem . Good Fuel presure at all times .

Thanks for any help

Are you saying it has good fuel pressure even when it's not starting? Just spinning over and not hitting? When it's not starting you're either not getting any fuel or not getting any spark. I would connect a manual pressure gauge to your fuel rail then tape the gauge to your windshield. Then take it out for a drive and see what it's doing under all operating conditions. You are starting it with a closed throttle, aren't you? You should because a wide open throttle tells the computer to shut the gas supply off (clear flood mode). Let me know what you find out and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Maybe your fuel filter is clogged. An 89 with only 6k given all the ethonal in fuel these days there is possibility its your fuel filter. Maybe it runs fine while driving because the excess fuel pressure is pushing through the clog. As previously stated by many, test the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Sorry, I just realized you said you had good fuel pressure. I guess that eliminates my theory. Do you know if your TPS is good?

He said he had good fuel pressure but I don't know how long he checked it. The best way of all is to tap into the fuel rail and then tape the gauge to the outside of the windshield. Then he can observe the pressure under all operating conditions. When I was fooling with my '82 several years ago I found my fuel pressure was good at idle but not at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all

I did change the fuel filter when this first started but no change . I also put a gauge onto the fuel rail with a gauge that will stay on all the time .
I'll need to find a way to check the TPS and get a noid light and spark tester .
I was looking to see if this was a common problem but I see it's not .

Thanks again and please let me know if other things may fix .

·
Registered
836 Posts
Starting!

Are you saying it has good fuel pressure even when it's not starting? Just spinning over and not hitting? When it's not starting you're either not getting any fuel or not getting any spark. I would connect a manual pressure gauge to your fuel rail then tape the gauge to your windshield. Then take it out for a drive and see what it's doing under all operating conditions. You are starting it with a closed throttle, aren't you? You should because a wide open throttle tells the computer to shut the gas supply off (clear flood mode). Let me know what you find out and we'll take it from there.
I Have a Full time Fuel gauge !!! in the dash !

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
As there's no way you can check your fuel pressure under load by having your gauge just screwed into the fuel rail. It's always best to add enough hose to the gauge so you can tape it to your windshield. I ran a hose into my cabin to check my pressure but that's not a safe way to do it..........better to have the gauge outside of the cabin. With my stock in-tank fuel pump I was finding my fuel pressure was falling to only 8 psi under full throttle (I have a Crossfire). After I mounted the in-line HyperTech I could maintain a full 14 psi under load. What a difference that new pump made.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Troubleshooting

So have you found the problem yet? Have you ever verified you still have good fuel pressure when it dies? If it has good pressure when it dies then you have an intermittent ignition problem. You may just have an ignition module that is giving up when it warms up. Have you ever checked for a good strong spark after it died?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No , Over the weekend I changed the TPS but that didn't help .
It will not start now . Fuel pressure at around 40 .
I turn the key with no gas pedal it will start for 1 second , get's to 9-13 rpm and turns off .
If I try to step on the gas pedal it turns off even faster .
If I use the gas pedal when turning the key it will not start at all just burp . I'm at a loss here .

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
No , Over the weekend I changed the TPS but that didn't help .
It will not start now . Fuel pressure at around 40 .
I turn the key with no gas pedal it will start for 1 second , get's to 9-13 rpm and turns off .
If I try to step on the gas pedal it turns off even faster .
If I use the gas pedal when turning the key it will not start at all just burp . I'm at a loss here .

I am suspecting you have a clogged fuel filter (under the car on the right side under the passenger's feet). You can easily build 40 psi of fuel pressure even with a clogged filter. I suggest running your fuel line into a 5-gallon bucket and measure how much comes out in one minute. You'll have to hook a hot wire to your fuel pump to keep it running. You should be pumping over 50 gallons per hour or a little over 3 quarts per minute.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Testing Your Fuel Pump

I replaced the fuel Filter about 500miles ago But I will do the test .

Thanks

If you just replaced your fuel filter 500 miles ago it almost certainly isn't plugged up. But it's possible the nylon sock on your fuel pump pick-up is plugged. With the fuel pump energized from an external source (like a trickle charger) it should pump about 50-60 gallons per hour or about 1 gallon per minute.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts