Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Been awhile and lost paper showing where wires attach to new starter! Can find no info showing wire placement anywhere ! Help please!

The battery cable and the other pair of wires that share a common 3/8" ring terminal go on the large upper post of the solenoid then the large purple wire goes to the inside (next to the block) terminal marked "S". Then the small green (?) wire goes to the outer terminal marked "R". That wire is what provides a full 12 volts to the distributor when cranking (for points type distributors).

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Thank you so much, it was I that lost my husbands notes! Glad he doesn't own a gun!

As you have a '77 with the HEI you'll only have the purple wire that goes on the "S" terminal (the "S" standing for START) next to the engine block. The "R" terminal was used for those cars with the points-style distributors made prior to 1974.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have power!!! Was not the starter, it was wired right!!! Plug on lower side of brake booster was loose, replugged; taped and all is well!! Thanks to those that took the time to help us!!!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We have power!!! Was not the starter, it was wired right!!! Plug on lower side of brake booster was loose, replugged; taped and all is well!! Thanks to those that took the time to help us!!!

I always thought that plug had a screw in the middle of it to prevent it's coming undone. I have never taken one of those plugs apart but it seems like I remember seeing a screw head in the middle of it.

But I'm glad you found the problem without much grief. Because it's always sad to see a C3 sitting around and not being driven.........................

·
Registered
523 Posts
That harness plug under the booster is the frontside of the fuse block- when you open it up, it's usually full of some gooey sealer to keep water out.

But also, in 77 GM used a starter extension harness- 6 cavity plug. The power leads thru that get a little moisture, corode a little, get hot, melt and no power- acts just like a fusible link. Just something else to lookout for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts