Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all ! ! I have an 84 with Crossfire Injection. I noticed the other day as i was watching the spray from the 2 injectors, that 1 had .....i dunno how to describe it......a dribble?? While idling, about every second to second and a half, a drop forms and drops into whatever you call the thing the gas flows into. The other side is fine. I dont notice any change when the drop falls. Im sure this isnt normal, but is ti something I should be concerned about??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not very mechanically inclined....:flasher:but if its realtively east, i think i can pull it off......So is this a hard job, where is this O-ring located, and where do i get the parts??

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Try injector cleaner first.
Sounds to me like you have an injector that is a little cruded up internally causing an uneven spray pattern, just like happens to a sprinkler when it gets a little dirt lodged inside of it causing uneven operation.

If the cleaner does not do the job then replace the injector and seal which is fairly complicated. Haynes pg 4-8 thru 12 covers it.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
My injectors now have 270,000 miles on them and I've never used any injector cleaner. And the gaskets and o-rings are the originals.

Try turning the key on and watch them. If one of them dribbles with just the key on then you have a leaking o-ring. Remember, the fuel pump only runs for two seconds when you turn the key on so be watching them the moment you turn the key.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
or have a friend turn the key

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a few bottles of cleaner thru teh system when I first got the car because it ran poorly....I can try a couple of more bottles. If it doesnt work, looks like a tr ip back to the shop. But is this soemthing that needs to be ASAP or is it ok to leave it this way for a while??

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I ran a few bottles of cleaner through the system when I first got the car because it ran poorly....I can try a couple of more bottles. If it doesn't work, looks like a tr ip back to the shop. But is this something that needs to be ASAP or is it okay to leave it this way for a while??

As the Crossfire's injectors have such big holes in them injector cleaner won't do you a bit of good. A leaking o-ring won't really hurt anything unless it gets real bad. But I would fix it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I ran a few bottles of cleaner thru teh system when I first got the car because it ran poorly....I can try a couple of more bottles. If it doesnt work, looks like a tr ip back to the shop. But is this soemthing that needs to be ASAP or is it ok to leave it this way for a while??
So what happened, did it then run better after runnng the cleaner thru?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm not familiar with the crossfire
how hard is it to just swap out an injector ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Spray pattern

I started to put only shell gas in Mine, & The injectors were leakin & Now, They Hold Pressure ! I know Cause I Have a Pressure Gauge inside 24-7...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Right, this talk about seals is premature, need to try to clean up the injector first. I had a throttle body injector in another type of car almost completely stop working and it cleaned up with injector cleaner and a liberal dose of carb cleaner sprayed into the nozzle. Normally it is not the nozzle that plugs up it is the moving part in the injector that pulses, it gets vanish and crude on it that causes the injector to not fire correctly all the time and often it will clean up with solvents which is what injector cleaner is...

Also, Chevron has techron in their gas which will help clean the injectors and keep them clean.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Right, this talk about seals is premature, need to try to clean up the injector first. I had a throttle body injector in another type of car almost completely stop working and it cleaned up with injector cleaner and a liberal dose of carb cleaner sprayed into the nozzle. Normally it is not the nozzle that plugs up it is the moving part in the injector that pulses, it gets vanish and crude on it that causes the injector to not fire correctly all the time and often it will clean up with solvents which is what injector cleaner is...

Also, Chevron has techron in their gas which will help clean the injectors and keep them clean.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
sorry
I couldnt resist

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BE CAREFUL with stuff like that ! ! ! A KNOW-NOTHING about cars (like me perhaps) might just try it ! ! LOL :watching:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts