Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZZ4 in my '80 C3 It has fastburn 383 aluminum heads with 1.6 roller rockers and hooker headers. I would like to get some header plugs with platinum or something. Not really buying into the E3 spark plug thing but what's the best plug to use? I didn't know if I should go up in heat range or down or stay the same. Since it's not a stock engine or stock ZZ4 at that.

As always thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
are the aluminum heads taper seat or flat w/ compression washer? you can get a short header plug from Accel for header clearance...the engine builder should have a recomended heat range for your motor.. typically, higher compression performance engines require colder plugs, [thats a lower number ,except NGK which is opposite]. I run a very short,cold plug ,Autolite AR3932 . its for a flat seat alum head, hi rpm high compression application

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I have a ZZ4 in my '80 C3 It has fastburn 383 aluminum heads with 1.6 roller rockers and hooker headers. I would like to get some header plugs with platinum or something. Not really buying into the E3 spark plug thing but what's the best plug to use? I didn't know if I should go up in heat range or down or stay the same. Since it's not a stock engine or stock ZZ4 at that.

As always thanks in advance!!!

As your ZZ4 has a 10:1 compression ratio I'd use stock AC Delco plugs that are one step colder.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I found the P.O. had two different types of plugs in this thing :banghead: one was iridium (spelling) one was a platinum and the others were regular ac delco.
That scares me

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
forget the iridium..Autolite Platinum or AC Delco is plenty good ... do you know what heat range was in there before the upgrades? Start 1 step colder.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at them also if there are different heat ranges on each plug (which should surprise me but not now) then read the plugs.

I've always been a Platium fan manily because I've never had or used the iridium plugs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts