Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sparkplug opinions

I know this has probably has been discussed over and over. But what seems to be the best spark plug to date . I 've got a slightly modified 69 350 that was built back in the 70's I always used champions. haven't fired it up in years but needs new plugs among other thing last I tried were splitfires was not imppressed as they lay fouled in the car now. Never had the problem with champions although themotor does run alittle rich. Just wondering what be my best choice with todays changes. I still like champions but didn't know if there was better choices out there

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I know this has probably has been discussed over and over. But what seems to be the best spark plug to date . I 've got a slightly modified 69 350 that was built back in the 70's I always used champions. haven't fired it up in years but needs new plugs among other thing last I tried were splitfires was not imppressed as they lay fouled in the car now. Never had the problem with champions although themotor does run alittle rich. Just wondering what be my best choice with todays changes. I still like champions but didn't know if there was better choices out there

It has been proven over-and-over again there is NO gain whatsoever in using anything but stock spark plugs in street engines. Now if you were running a AA/Fuel dragster with super high cylinder pressures there could be an advantage to using one of the "exotic metal" tipped spark plugs. But for street engines nothing more than "stock" spark plugs are needed. AC Delco makes very high quality plugs as does Champion, Autolite, NGK, and so on. I would advise you to stay away from the multi-electrode spark plugs as they're extremely hard (or impossible) to gap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreeded I've not been happy with split fire with auto or marine applications Just always just used champions since the 70's just wondered with if the ac may be more suitable definately not a major investment I think alot of people don't care for champion

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Shortly after the new-fangled "resistor" plugs came out I found one that refused to fire at any engine speed above idle. I broke it apart and found the resistor was missing so the spark had to jump a 1/2" gap. Other than that one time I have never seen a spark plug fail. As AC Delco produces such good quality spark plugs I have never seen any reason to use anything else. Some people swear NGK's are the very best but I question how they feel that way when they have no mechanical knowledge or experience at all. I once knew a guy who swore Rotella-T was the very best oil money could buy because he never had an engine failure during the year or two he owned a vehicle. Huh? And I have also heard many times Fram oil filters are junk but yet I've been using them for 45 years and I've never had one fail yet. But I also know a lot of so-called "knowledgeable" people are plugging their by-passes (on the advice of other "knowledgeable" people) and when the cold THICK oil hits their filter element it ruptures. If Fram filters were as bad as many "knowledgeable" people claim, G.M. would issue a warning stating the warranty wouldn't be honored if the owner used a Fram. Stock Fram filters may not hold up to the super high oil pressures and volumes often used in drag racing engines but Fram does make oil filters that ARE suitable for those high pressure/high volume applications. But they're not $4 either. For those of us who just drive our cars from point A to point B the Frams are plenty good.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Theres no benefit to buying exoctic plugs. any major brand is fine...I personally use only Autolite, but mostly because I can t get another brand in the same configuration I need for my stroker. and I ve gotten 125,000 miles or more from Autolite in my trucks.. don t believe the big power and economy claims of the expensive E3 s and such, it just doesn t translate to actual driving conditions

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shortly after the new-fangled "resistor" plugs came out I found one that refused to fire at any engine speed above idle. I broke it apart and found the resistor was missing so the spark had to jump a 1/2" gap. Other than that one time I have never seen a spark plug fail. As AC Delco produces such good quality spark plugs I have never seen any reason to use anything else. Some people swear NGK's are the very best but I question how they feel that way when they have no mechanical knowledge or experience at all. I once knew a guy who swore Rotella-T was the very best oil money could buy because he never had an engine failure during the year or two he owned a vehicle. Huh? And I have also heard many times Fram oil filters are junk but yet I've been using them for 45 years and I've never had one fail yet. But I also know a lot of so-called "knowledgeable" people are plugging their by-passes (on the advice of other "knowledgeable" people) and when the cold THICK oil hits their filter element it ruptures. If Fram filters were as bad as many "knowledgeable" people claim, G.M. would issue a warning stating the warranty wouldn't be honored if the owner used a Fram. Stock Fram filters may not hold up to the super high oil pressures and volumes often used in drag racing engines but Fram does make oil filters that ARE suitable for those high pressure/high volume applications. But they're not $4 either. For those of us who just drive our cars from point A to point B the Frams are plenty good.
Thats kinda of funny because a friend of mine is an oil rep and I was quzzing about which was the best oil ( I've always used pennzoil) He said there all about the same , even the brands he didn't sell because of the guidelines being so strict there's not that much varience. I guess that that hold true with most name brand products

·
Registered
263 Posts
And I have also heard many times Fram oil filters are junk but yet I've been using them for 45 years and I've never had one fail yet. But I also know a lot of so-called "knowledgeable" people are plugging their by-passes (on the advice of other "knowledgeable" people) and when the cold THICK oil hits their filter element it ruptures. If Fram filters were as bad as many "knowledgeable" people claim, G.M. would issue a warning stating the warranty wouldn't be honored if the owner used a Fram. Stock Fram filters may not hold up to the super high oil pressures and volumes often used in drag racing engines but Fram does make oil filters that ARE suitable for those high pressure/high volume applications. But they're not $4 either. For those of us who just drive our cars from point A to point B the Frams are plenty good.
Toobroke I have to disagree with you on the Fram filters. I have had one fail on a stock small block Ford and it cost the engine. I may be the exception but to me they are junk. I only buy OEM filters for my cars now. I am not an expert on cars and engines but I attempt to educate myself on them as much as possible. I have built a few performance engines and I learned to go with high quality parts and to avoid the snake oil items (turbulator, multi-tip spark plugs, and pretty much everything that sounds too good to be true). The one thing that is common with all cars is OEM may not be the best quality, but it works.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Toobroke I have to disagree with you on the Fram filters. I have had one fail on a stock small block Ford and it cost the engine. I may be the exception but to me they are junk. I only buy OEM filters for my cars now. I am not an expert on cars and engines but I attempt to educate myself on them as much as possible. I have built a few performance engines and I learned to go with high quality parts and to avoid the snake oil items (turbulator, multi-tip spark plugs, and pretty much everything that sounds too good to be true). The one thing that is common with all cars is OEM may not be the best quality, but it works.

I'm curious as to what happened to your Fram fiilter. Did the insides come apart? Did you actually cut it apart and see why it failed? Or did the mechanic who did your engine repair tell you the Fram filter caused it? I would think any brand of filter could fail as manufacturing processes aren't always perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts