Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be buying new rubber to hopefully solve my lack of traction. I am either looking at the nitto NT05 or the toyo proxesr888 for the rear. Anyone running these tires out back how do you like them and about how many miles did you get out of them. Not expecting 40K but would like to think a couple seasons. These would be only for daily driving as I dont ever track the car but do some quick sprints to put people in there place

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much RWHP are you putting down? If you only have a CAI as mentioned in your profile you really don't need either of the two tires you listed and could get something that will bite and have a lot more treadwear. Plus going with an R-Compound such as the R888 you'll have to yank those tires off in the winter or when temps drop and that could be a major PITA.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just short of 600 rwhp and I only drive the car april through oct then goes into storage for the fall and winter months, so switching the tires out will not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I will soon be buying new rubber to hopefully solve my lack of traction. I am either looking at the nitto NT05 or the toyo proxesr888 for the rear. Anyone running these tires out back how do you like them and about how many miles did you get out of them. Not expecting 40K but would like to think a couple seasons. These would be only for daily driving as I dont ever track the car but do some quick sprints to put people in there place
I've ran 4 sets of Toyo Proxes R888 and 3 sets of Nitto 555R2 tires through my car. After using two sets of R888 up front I switched to Proxes R1R (140 threadwear instead of 100); your front tires scrub every time you take a turn and a soft R-Compound like that up front goes in no time; figure 5000 miles or so untill it is about done. The R1R seems to be holding up a lot better, although when the rears get up to full operating temperature the car transitions from neutral handling to a tendency to understeer at the limit. This is noticeable on a track but not on the street.
I stopped using R888s on the back and switched to Nitto 555R2; Toyo owns Nitto and the rubber compound between those two is identical. I feel the 555R2 works a little better in the rain and it cost a little bit less. I have 18x11 rims on the back though, if you're on 19s you won't have that choice.
Mileage wise, they wear very fast: expect 5000 to 9000 miles MAX out of them, depending on usage. Even if you never spin the tires, they will still harden and lose traction by that point. A lot of R-Compounds are DOT legal, but they are definitely not "recommended" for the street. I do it because crashing the car from a 100 mile an hour burnout is a lot less appealing than burning through 3 sets of tires in a year, but if there was a way to get this kind of traction from a higher threadwear tire you better believe I'd be doing it :)

Now, the breakdown:

HOT: Warm, these tires could hook up 1st gear with 600RWHP/518rwtq. Traction on the street is about as good as you will ever get out of a tire that is not a drag radial.
COLD:These tires are horrendous when cold. Right around 50degrees F my car becomes able to spin them on command in 3rd gear, all the way to 90MPH. R-Compound tires are actually worse than street tires at low temperatures. Much colder than 50 and the car feels like its on ice. Below 30F the rubber becomes so hard that the tires will crack and break like glass if you drive on them (there is a warning about this on the Toyo website).
WET: New they are driveable in the rain; just be careful around standing water. They wear fast though and once you're past the wear bars, they become extremely dangerous. A fellow forum member hit a concrete wall with his car when he drove over a puddle; he was the 3rd car in a line of Corvettes, everyone drove over the puddle on street tires, when he drove over it he lost the rear end and crashed. He said the moment he hit that water it was like he was on ice. I've had one close call. Avoid driving in the rain at all costs if you're on a well worn set.
Drag Strip: Not that great. I've heard of people cutting 1.8 second 60' times with them but my personal experience is that I have less traction on the drag strip with them than I do on the street; they don't seem to play well with VHT and I can almost always spin 2nd on the strip, something that almost never happens on the street.

They handle GREAT too. It is a tire meant for road racing so with a second set of R888s up front I could hit OVER 1.2Gs on turns!. Absolutely wicked :thumbsup3: That was with 265/35R18 up front. If you don't care about cornering just do whatever up front but the car will tend to understeer at the limit, every time. A C6Z06 rear swaybar can help the balance somewhat.

Here's a 0-60 run with my previous engine (597rwhp) and those tires on the street.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts