Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just purchased new side mirrors for my old car, the old ones are very pitted and the right side is loose as a goose. I have not ever had the door panels off and just am wondering how difficult they are to remove, and do I need any special kind of tools.
Can anyone who has performed this sort of job before chime in and tell me of any tricks or pitfalls that I might avoid before I start.

Thanks!
T.Huck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Easy job! No special tools. I replaced my pass. side this year. No need to remove the door panel. Just remove the set screw on the bottom side of the mirror base (prespray with some penetrating lube). The mirror should lift right off the mount. The 1976 (not sure about 71) did not come from the factory with pass. side mirrors. this was a dealer installed option. Depending how the dealer mounted it... the base may be attached with 2 coarse thread screws or a set of anchors and screws. The replacement mirror and install kit I got from Zip had rubber sleeved anchors that expand as you tighten them. These worked great. I only had to drill out the two existing holes slightly bigger for the new anchors. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts