Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, here I am stuck again doing another opti-spark job. Yesterday I confirmed I was getting no spark to my distributor(ignition coil was sparking, spark plugs were not). Oil has been seeping all over the opti. Anyways today I began tear down, I took out my water pump and I started to move the shaft on the timing chain cover. The shaft had play to it, side to side movement. Is this normal???? (Seal is leaking oil)

Here' s a picture:

p.s. MAKE SURE YOU APPLY SILICONE TO THE WATER PUMP BOLTS. I didn't from my last job and guess what, I'm sure I was leaking a little bit of coolant. Once I loosened one up a bit, coolant started rushing out.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Spline Wobble

I searched the internet and found where a guy was asking the same question. The answer given to him was "yes"..........there IS some wobble to that spline drive. I suggest you ask your G.M. parts man to tell you how the other end of that spline drive is fastened. I read it's fastened to the face of the camshaft and that would tell me it should be solid..........no wobble. I would definitely find out before you go any further.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
And if your going to replace the leaking seal I'm sure you will see how its connected to the shaft. And please get us another pic at that point I'd like to see myself.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched the internet and found where a guy was asking the same question. The answer given to him was "yes"..........there IS some wobble to that spline drive. I suggest you ask your G.M. parts man to tell you how the other end of that spline drive is fastened. I read it's fastened to the face of the camshaft and that would tell me it should be solid..........no wobble. I would definitely find out before you go any further.
Thank you very much TB, I will check that out.

And if your going to replace the leaking seal I'm sure you will see how its connected to the shaft. And please get us another pic at that point I'd like to see myself.
I'll see if I can get a clear shot of it. Here is where I last left off, I'm now waiting for the seals to come in:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, which seal are you talking about? I'm replacing both the water pump and dist. The Water pump seal, after you remove it, show's nothing just some more backing. Now the Distributor seal, after removing it, shows the cam sprocket(Just a little bit) With the 3 bolts and in the center are the splines for the opti-spark shaft. I took a picture of it by my cellphone camera is so dark I don't think much shows :(.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Spline Drive

It seems to me the spline drive should be rigid as it's fastened to the face of the camshaft. I have searched the internet to find out how it's fastened but I've come up with nothing so far. I'll keep looking as I'm very curious about it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm thinking your going to pull the timing cover to replace the seals so at that point yea I wanna see whats behind the cover lol.Also it will show how the shafts attach.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking your going to pull the timing cover to replace the seals so at that point yea I wanna see whats behind the cover lol.Also it will show how the shafts attach.
Aw man, looks like we're both gonna have to wait till my timing chain cover starts to leak cause I ain't touching it now! :smilielol5:. It's come to that point where I find this job easy so I don't mind tearing everything apart again(again).

And by then I'll have to look forward to purchasing that hub remover tool.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a question gents. The distributor front seal, when I pullled off my optispark the seal was all the way to the back. Is it suppose to sit so far in? Or just enough to be level with the cover?

I ask because it seems when it's all the way back the camshaft sprocket bolts(3) would hit the seal.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ok I thought the seals installed on the backside of the timing cover.You can pull them from the front? And if the opti seal was deep to the back I'd think it was installed from the rear side of the cover and popped out of place.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are you talking about the seal on the optispark where the spline fits in? If so, the seal is flush with the back. But this is not where your oil leak is coming from. Also if the spline is seated correctly there is no wobble. The keys in the spline must be lined up perfect. All the seals are in the timing cover except for two o-rings on the coupling shaft that go's over the waterpump spline. Hope these ( not very good ) pics help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok I thought the seals installed on the backside of the timing cover.You can pull them from the front? And if the opti seal was deep to the back I'd think it was installed from the rear side of the cover and popped out of place.
The water pump seal is blocked off access to the back of the timing chain cover, so that's out of the question. It may have sank in or something. I took a look at the picture I took of my first opti spark job and I noticed the seal was all the way backed in then as well!!!

Are you talking about the seal on the optispark where the spline fits in? If so, the seal is flush with the back. But this is not where your oil leak is coming from. Also if the spline is seated correctly there is no wobble. The keys in the spline must be lined up perfect. All the seals are in the timing cover except for two o-rings on the coupling shaft that go's over the waterpump spline. Hope these ( not very good ) pics help you.
I'm talking about the seal on the timing chain cover for the distributor, take a look at the 2nd picture I posted on this thread and you'll see that sucker is all the way in there. I ordered the o-rings, waiting on them sucks lol.

You should have seen the seal on the optispark, it would move with the spline! Not good.

Thanks for those diagrams Mike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts