Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just purchased my dream car to celebrate my 40th, a 1976 L-82. I've wanted this all my life and now I have it!
So I literally just got home from registering and other than a quick test drive, haven't really driven it much. I'm noticing when I'm in 1st gear (manual transmission,) sometimes it goes fine, other times it doesn't go at all and sometimes it shakes, lags and stalls. Seems like it's not getting into gear correctly. I've discovered that with this old car (I've never had an old car like this) shifting needs to be done pretty hard, no leisurely shifting. But even after doing this, I still have the issue of it not seeming to get into 1st very well. I know I'm in the 1st position and I'm pushing it into gear pretty forcefully, but something isn't right.

Any thoughts?? I'm hoping it's just an adjustment of some sort. My instruction manuals are coming in the mail today so I know that'll help, but I'm hoping you guys know what this sounds like.

Thanks much and I'm glad to be part of SmokinVette!!! :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll start there tomorrow. I didn't have time today. Are those common issues on this car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got under there today and this is what I discovered....

First, I just started grabbing parts to see if anything seemed abnormal and the first thing I noticed is the rod for 1st and 2nd has a lot of play to it. About 1/4" play which just seemed to me like it wasn't right.

Then, I saw a cable coming down from the steering column and the end is just hanging above the reverse rod. I can clearly see where it should be attached to the lever.

Finally, where the levers bolt to the transmission, there is fluid there. The same rod that is loose from above, 1st & 2nd, has some play at the bolt and fluid is leaking from there.

Suggestions?? Does it sound like these are the cause of my problems from my initial post? Seems like easy fixes but not sure.

Thanks for ANY help! I'm a newbie to old cars so the tips are greatly appreciated!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts