Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started reinstalling my interior. Having a problem with the seat cushion. I got them off no problems but I cant get he new ones back on. Is there a trick or special tool that I need to get the new cushions on the seat frames?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Started reinstalling my interior. Having a problem with the seat cushion. I got them off no problems but I cant get he new ones back on. Is there a trick or special tool that I need to get the new cushions on the seat frames?

If you're trying to put the cushions on with the seats still bolted down you're never going to do it. You need to take the seats clear out...................

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the seats are out of the car and taken apart. I want to fit them before i re-dye the seats. Read this post after all the frustration, i did have to remove foam from the bars and bend the bars catch the mount better. I think it will be easier to do if the two seats half’s are back together. The factory manual says to use a screwdriver with a "V" notched in it to push on the bars. I got on a top piece on and those are the hardest so hopeful it will go well. What have you guys used as sound deadener?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the covers are on. i was asking isf there are any tricks on getting the cushions on to the seat backs and seat bottoms. manaul says to use a v notched tool. to push the bars past the clips. i notches an ould screw drives and works great.

second question: i removed the seat rails to sand blast and refinish. one seat of rails is taller then the other. which on goes on what side?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
the covers are on. i was asking isf there are any tricks on getting the cushions on to the seat backs and seat bottoms. manaul says to use a v notched tool. to push the bars past the clips. i notches an ould screw drives and works great.

second question: i removed the seat rails to sand blast and refinish. one seat of rails is taller then the other. which on goes on what side?

The seat-adjust chrome balls both go on the right side...................

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
thanks to broke. one seat is taller then the other cause one of the rails is taller then the other when bolted to the bottom. which seat goes on what side?

I just realized you have a '79 and I was referring to the seats in my '68 and '71. Both have their adjustment knobs on the right side and the seat rails are the same height on both sides.

How much taller? I just looked in my Corvette Central catalog and it only shows the seat rails for the '68's thru '78's (???). I suggest calling the tech department at Corvette Central at (800) 345-4122 and ask them

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
i found a set of seats on Ebay and the taller seat rails are on the drivers side.

How do you know they're taller on the driver's side? Did it say they're taller on that side? And I'm wondering why they're taller as I don't think they are on my '82 but then again my '82 has a powered-seat on the driver's side so I really don't know for sure. As you have your seats out try measuring the floor pans and see if you can see any difference in their depths.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts