Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Got Vacuum secondaries opened. WOw. Mad accelleration. In previous post. Mention flooding. Really just running rich now. I went from a Hotter 26 to a 24 colder. 26 burned sooty, 24 burns great what a difference. Think gas trickles in on idle circuit. or I need to Lower pressure to 3.5 pds.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Finally Got Vacuum secondaries opened. WOw. Mad accelleration. In previous post. Mention flooding. Really just running rich now. I went from a Hotter 26 to a 24 colder. 26 burned sooty, 24 burns great what a difference. Think gas trickles in on idle circuit. or I need to Lower pressure to 3.5 pds.

Holley carburetors are notorious about blowing power valves. All it takes is one good backfire to blow one so I suggest checking yours out because that could be your whole problem. And Holleys will easily tolerate 5-6 psi of pressure.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
this is what I was talking about earlier.. a blown or incorrect rated power valve will drop unneeded fuel in .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I check power valve. Held Vacuum. Meaning good. Problem Is the Cam makes the vacuum gauge Jumpy. Trying to get a Viable Reading. To determine vacuum. If I had say 14hg., I would need 7.5 valve. Right now I have a 6.5 valve. I had mad fluctuations. from like 10 to 20 radiating back and forth.
I know what some will say. Jumpy aint good. But Im getting many different views. Some racers I know say wilder cam, Jumpy vacuum readings.
I Heard Pinching Line, ( not all the way close) on hose to Vacuum gauge when taking reading works a little.
Thing runs fine. I just think its dripping from Idle Ports below Buttierfly. But I cant figure out how to verify.
What would happen if I just tried a smaller Valve. ? Smaller means Less gas?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
if your vacuum is swinging 10-20 inhg, your carb is badly out of adjustment or power valve is open.. or you have a burnt valve... your 6.5 power valve will open at 6.5 in hg, if you have minimum 10 in of vacuum, it should not be dripping fuel. P/V s are cheap, replace it with a 5.5,[ 6.5 is the stock P/V] and see if that stops the drip....is the fuel pressure now below 6 psi? try to adjust the mixture screws to get highest possible vacuum reading...... by the way, how much duration does your cam have?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts