Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now if you know you are going to be racing the car, like at a drag strip. What is the highest octane fuel you can run in a stock internal LS motor? Now what ever that octane level is, would there be much performance gains?

Just wondering, so thanks ahead time.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Now if you know you are going to be racing the car, like at a drag strip. What is the highest octane fuel you can run in a stock internal LS motor? Now what ever that octane level is, would there be much performance gains?

Just wondering, so thanks ahead time.
You can run any octane unleaded fuel, but it will net zero gains unless your car is tuned for it...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Isn't higher octane fuel mainly for high horse power motors? There really isn't any need for higher octane fuel in stock motors.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you aren't running some sick power or the car hasn't been tuned for it, I wouldn't bother with it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You can run any octane unleaded fuel, but it will net zero gains unless your car is tuned for it...
actually it is worse. Throw some 100+ octane in your car when you are tuned for 93 and you'll slow down. Tested it at the track. Nothing like buying uber expensive gas and going slower for it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Isn't higher octane fuel mainly for high horse power motors? There really isn't any need for higher octane fuel in stock motors.
High octane is only needed if you run very high compression, or lots of boost... Most engines will benefit from it if they are knock limited since the high octane will allow more timing and thus more power. On a stock-ish engine the potential gains are small and not worth the $6+ gal cost of the fuel.

actually it is worse. Throw some 100+ octane in your car when you are tuned for 93 and you'll slow down. Tested it at the track. Nothing like buying uber expensive gas and going slower for it.
I agree. That is very true depending on the particular fuel you use; most high octane fuels are slower burning and don't just allow you to run more ignition timing: they need it, and you lose power if you run them on a stock motor :coffeetime:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I ran out of fuel at the track so I had no choice but to run it. It was late in the day or I would have tried bumping the timing to see whether I could have run faster, or at least come back to what I was running.

·
Registered
324 Posts
:iagree: unless you are getting some knock (detination) there is no reason to run it, and even then maybe a gallon or two.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I ran out of fuel at the track so I had no choice but to run it. It was late in the day or I would have tried bumping the timing to see whether I could have run faster, or at least come back to what I was running.
Was the reduction in power that noticeable?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I was down a couple tenths.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so next question: Is it possible to have 2 tunes on these cars? One for every day driving and flip switch for something at track for more aggressive driving and fuel?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
OK, so next question: Is it possible to have 2 tunes on these cars? One for every day driving and flip switch for something at track for more aggressive driving and fuel?
No. But you can have as many tunes as you'd like on a computer and then flash the computer with a different tune whenever you feel like it. You can use HP tuners or EFI Live for that. Both are about $600.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts