Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '71 on safety stands yesterday and happened to push against the top of my right rear tire and noticed it moved inward about 1/4" (???). Three months ago it had the same problem and I found the spindle nut was stripped so I installed a new nut and torqued it to the recommended 100 ft/lbs and that took care of the problem. But then yesterday I found it loose again. I advanced the spindle nut two hexes and that removed .015" of the .017" end play. So now I'm wondering why it had loosened in just 3 months of semi-daily usage. I live in the mountains so it sees a lot of side loading when I go around corners at 60 mph so perhaps its the side loading that is causing this.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
How old are the spindles? check clearance between spindle and inner bearing races. if a failed bearing has ever spun on the spindle it will grind it down a mm or so, it might feel tight when first assembled but no amount of tightening will take the play out, other than a new spindle.. The nut does not need to be that tight, when done right the rear bearings are pressed on to spindle and don't move, if bearing just slide on the rear spindle say a like a front wheel bearing goes on there's a problem.
David Steele

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old are the spindles? check clearance between spindle and inner bearing races. if a failed bearing has ever spun on the spindle it will grind it down a mm or so, it might feel tight when first assembled but no amount of tightening will take the play out, other than a new spindle.. The nut does not need to be that tight, when done right the rear bearings are pressed on to spindle and don't move, if bearing just slide on the rear spindle say a like a front wheel bearing goes on there's a problem.
David Steele

As far as I know they're the original spindles and the inner bearing cones still require a light press fit. I live in the mountains so my spindles get a lot of side loading on them. This right spindle was set up with .001" end play and the nut torqued to 100+ ft/lbs with red LocTite on the threads and the cotter key installed so I was stunned to see it had loosened that much. It had somehow gained clearance between the new nut and the hardened washer. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know they're the original spindles and the inner bearing cones still require a light press fit. I live in the mountains so my spindles get a lot of side loading on them. This right spindle was set up with .001" end play and the nut torqued to 100+ ft/lbs with red LocTite on the threads and the cotter key installed so I was stunned to see it had loosened that much. It had somehow gained clearance between the new nut and the hardened washer. I'll keep an eye on it.

My right rear spindle loosened again. I think I need a harder nut.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My right rear spindle loosened again. I think I need a harder nut.
I've had 4 C3's and never heard or seen that happening before. Are the spindle threads good? The only thing I can imagine is that when you think you've got the end play set, the bearings still aren't really seated properly and then with driving it loosens up. Try measuring the distance between the nut and the end of the spindle threads after your think you have it all setup and then after you notice it being loose and see if that has changed. I can't see how that would change if you have the cotter pin in to lock the position of the nut on the spindle shaft. If that measurement hasn't changed (meaning the nut has not loosened up), but the wheel has loosened up then for some reason I would think you're not really getting the end play setup correctly to start with. Good luck and keep us posted. John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts